BC 4x4 Forums banner

Volvo 740 ran out of gas & wont start.

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jollygreen 
#1 ·
First off, yes, there is now more gas in the car.

My buddy's '92 Volvo 740, 4cyl, auto. Ran out of gas today. It has been topped up, but now will not start.

Does anybody have any tips on how to get it up & running again?

:help

#3 ·
fuel pump picked got clogged, or the fuel filter is clogged from picking up all the crap at the bottem of the tank ?

#5 ·
I second the dirty pickup filter and/or fuel filter, possibly the pump.

Tell him to turn the ign. on and see if he can hear the fuel pump priming. IIRC there's 2 on that car he and should be able to hear at least one.

Also, doesn't hurt to jump it while he's cranking since the battery's probably not at full voltage

#8 ·
Ended up towing it home behind his bosse's work truck.
Haven't got the jack stands out from under my parts truck yet, I was rather hoping that there would have been an acess hatch in through the trunk/under the seats. But it looks like we have to get at everything from under neath it. I didn't hear any pump action when he tried it, but I think his battery is a bit flat now, and I had walked over.
I'm thinking Wed/Thurs we should get him going.

#9 ·
how many times did ya crank it?

If it ran out of gas it could've also sucked in air in which case you'd have to crank it for a little while to get it to pull gas again ..... or at least that's what i think happened to my car. Had to crank it for probably a total of 2 min before it fired up lol.

#12 ·
I do work at a Volvo shop in Squamish. It might have cooked the fuel pump or both. Some 740's have 2 pumps. Gimme a shout Nick or call the shop @ 604 815 0085. Cheers.

#14 ·
Wish he would update us on this.

I can almost asure you that if you or the budy ran out of fuel, then the fuel pump is cooked. Fuel pump in todays modern american and some eropean cars require fuel to be present around the body of the fuel pump and also passing though it.

It acts as a coolant to keep the pump from overheating. Fast way to verify this is check for voltage going from relay to pump. Check for fuel pressure by cracking fuel pump line. If it is a exernal pump like Bosch on mercedes, then check for fuel/voltage at the pump and that will tell you if its time to change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.