What Survival Gear do you Carry?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

What Survival Gear do you Carry?

What survival gear/food do you carry in your 4X4's in case you get stuck or break down in a remote wilderness area and you have to wait a few days for some one to happen upon you?

Axe?
    Stove?
    Fire Starting equipment?
    Food?
    Blanket/sleeping bag?
    etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: What Survival Gear do you Carry?

i carry a unimog.

a good chainsaw, a tarp and a sleeping bag go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
    you can never have too many jeeps...

Stock Merc on 24's

Heres a trick on how to stay warm if your stuck out in the bush...

This is a little known or talked about technique that the old time prospectors/trappers all new about and used but it is one of those mostly forgotten tricks so pay attention this may save your life one day...

Find an old tree stump that is kind of rotten and you can kick apart it will be dry inside no matter how wet it has been.

Kick or chop a hole in the side (with your axe that you should never be without) and light a fire in that hole the stump will burn all night long.

Just make sure you put the fire completely out when you leave the sap in the roots will continue to fuel the fire if you don't put it out completely.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

everyone should at least have a fire kit and a knife.

i am with Search and Rescue here in the north Okanagan and if you can light a fire it makes our job much easier. it can very well make the difference between finding you right away in the dark or you waiting till light. plus it could save your life, hypothermia can happen any time of the year!!
    Ford Fanatic

1978 Bronco, Cummins diesel, 35 inch Toyos, Dana 60 Front, 10.25 Rear

1990 F-350 Crew Cab Short Box XLT Powerstroke, E4OD, 285/75/16 BFGs

1966 Falcon 418 Clevor, c-4, 9-inch, the street/strip toy

1979 Harley custom 88ci shovelhead, 4-spd, the bike

In this case, I would consider two scenarios...one where you have to leave the vehicle (if secluded enough and nobody knows where to find me), or the case where you get to sit in your car and wait for help.

If you can stay with your truck, then fill your boots. Gallons of water, food, a good blanket, fire starter, and FIRE EXTINGUISHER! I'd hate to see my truck slowly get engulfed...

If we're talking the situation where you'll need to ditch the shelter of your truck and travel light, here's a few of my musings after a survival exercise I did as a boy scout years ago.

A 8x10 tarp or sheet of plastic with fishing line can serve as a very light and compact shelter. Adding safety pins can help with the insulation part, but it'll never be perfect. Wind can sure mess things up too, so make sure anchoring is excessive.

Those cheap metallic thermal blankets are better than nothing, but barely.

Small hatchets piss me off. I usually go for the smallest size that I can comfortably swing as an axe. I know it's harder to carry and heavier, but it still fits on the belt and its much more useful.

Simple things like toilet paper or a book can be the difference between comfortably playing the waiting game and being royally pissed off. I ended up spending my spare time whittling for fun, which got boring pretty fast.

Bright flagging tape and a felt will help search and rescue plenty. (and +1 for the fires with Sam)

Power bars will keep you going strong, but can still leave you hungry.

Water and duct tape are my friend.
    BEEFCAKE!

My northern survival gear includes, but is not limited to : good knife, lighters, small propane torch, and a Remington 870 12ga pistol grip shotgun complete with amo including bird shot to slugs.

If you look in my Jeep you'll find spare socks, food, water, fishing gear, blankets, tarps, etc, etc.

The more you can carry in the bush the better. Depends on where you go though I geuss. We wheel in extreme remote areas sometimes, so one tends to carry a little more on those occassions.

When we go out, I always grab my plastic storage bin of basic spare parts for the truck, and most of the stuff mentioned above, and I make sure I tell atleast 1 person where I'm going and when I'll be back.
    Been camping at Hale Creek since the early 80's.

Survival bin has an axe, small handsaw, firestarter kit, first aid kit, 4L bottle of water, knife, several lighters and waterproof matches, butane torch, flares, duct tape, small thermarest, tarps, several garbage bags, box of energy bars, folding fishing rod and several different lures, couple flashlights and extra batteries, and several boxes of 12ga ammo.

12ga, rifle, fishing gear, sleeping bags, food, and extra clothing in the truck.

The bin does not get touched during normal camping trips, this way if and when I need it, it's all there. If I have to leave the truck then I will pick and choose what I need.
    A wise man washes his hands after he pees. A wiser man doesn't pee on his hands

Flash light (head lamp and a mini mag). I always check the batteries before I head out (don't ask why).

A wood saw. Bow type. Blades are sharp and will cut wood quite well.

Home made fire starter. I bought it in Oregon from a disabled gentleman that sold them at the Florence camp ground. Super light and work like hot dam in getting a fire going.

White emergency candles. Lighting one or two in your truck will provide a surprising amount of warmth. Leave a down wind window open a crack just the same.

Spare winter gloves, nylon liner gloves, touque and extra wool socks. I have a pair of work gloves I use for "work" kinda stuff, leaving the warm gloves dry.

Matches and lighter. Ya never know.

I used to have and need to find again a TPA (Thermal Protection Apparatus). They are used in life rafts and are replaced when the life raft is inspected. They are quite compact yet will keep you warm and dry when used. Picture a sleeping bag with arms and hood made out of canvas. Windproof too, which is a big issue with sleeping bags. They are also orange, which will also act as a singling device.

A small tarp (about 6x10) Can cover the bed of the truck, make a tent, help carry wood, and what ever else a tarp is good for.

Leatherman multi tool.

Bungee cords/ratchet tie-downs, and a coil of 5/16" rope (cheap Home Depot stuff).

First Aid kit

A small day pack 9in case you just need to get out of dodge)

Paper towel/TP (biodegradable TP) 'cause using leaves gets old fast.

Snack food/water

A metal pot so I can boil water if need be.

Garbage bags.

4 season sleeping bag

Bear spray

and most important of all, a BC Backroads map book and directions with the GF/family. I also leave an estimated return time, with a 24 hr. fudge factor if I'm gone on a long, multi-day trip.

Mmm, can't think of anything else. All of this fits in a small plastic tub I can grab and go with at any time.

Tim...prepared for the unpreparable.
    I can't be stuck. I can still see my windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklin at y'al View Post
    Flash light (head lamp and a mini mag). I always check the batteries before I head out (don't ask why).

A wood saw. Bow type. Blades are sharp and will cut wood quite well.

Home made fire starter. I bought it in Oregon from a disabled gentleman that sold them at the Florence camp ground. Super light and work like hot dam in getting a fire going.

White emergency candles. Lighting one or two in your truck will provide a surprising amount of warmth. Leave a down wind window open a crack just the same.

Spare winter gloves, nylon liner gloves, touque and extra wool socks. I have a pair of work gloves I use for "work" kinda stuff, leaving the warm gloves dry.

Matches and lighter. Ya never know.

I used to have and need to find again a TPA (Thermal Protection Apparatus). They are used in life rafts and are replaced when the life raft is inspected. They are quite compact yet will keep you warm and dry when used. Picture a sleeping bag with arms and hood made out of canvas. Windproof too, which is a big issue with sleeping bags. They are also orange, which will also act as a singling device.

A small tarp (about 6x10) Can cover the bed of the truck, make a tent, help carry wood, and what ever else a tarp is good for.

Leatherman multi tool.

Bungee cords/ratchet tie-downs, and a coil of 5/16" rope (cheap Home Depot stuff).

First Aid kit

A small day pack 9in case you just need to get out of dodge)

Paper towel/TP (biodegradable TP) 'cause using leaves gets old fast.

Snack food/water

A metal pot so I can boil water if need be.

Garbage bags.

4 season sleeping bag

Bear spray

and most important of all, a BC Backroads map book and directions with the GF/family. I also leave an estimated return time, with a 24 hr. fudge factor if I'm gone on a long, multi-day trip.

Mmm, can't think of anything else. All of this fits in a small plastic tub I can grab and go with at any time.

Tim...prepared for the unpreparable.

Tim...hit your local Princess Auto and grab a couple of those magneto flashlights..I gave mine one crank when I bought it...lit up 2 months later...never worry about batteries for your light again...)

mojo
    ifthedoghadnystoppedfora****hewouldacaughttherabbi t

I carry in the Jeep. First aid plus a needle and thread, fire starter plus steel wool, a few cans of chili, fishing gear, sleeping bag, tent, H2O purrifier, tarp, rope, Cel phone + extra bat, GPS, VHF, CB, shovel,axe, machete, whistle, and some other odds and ends like a compass, lighter, matches, a couple bottles of water and ass wipe. I figure the stuff doesn't take up to much room so why not carry it, besides if I find a nice spot to stay over night, I can. Major thing is I always let someone know where I'm going and give them a time line. This is besides recovery gear.
    Jeep. Robin

I carry my 4Runner !!!

It all depends on the situation, winter-summer, desert-mountains, near well travelled roads or further away, experience in the backcountry, bush and maintenance knowledge, solo or partners etc.....

The more the conditions would be challenging to stay healthy the better prepared you need to be.

I always have full sleeping gear, axe and machette, food and cooking gear for several days, some water and water containers, bug juice during summer, spare clothing appropriate to the situation, tarps, fire starter and a news paper, wacks of tools, some spares, radios and an ittenarary with a resposible person, booster cables, etc.... along with the usual 4x4 stuff you should carry.
    95 V6 4Runner, locked f&r on 33 Duratracks

Quote Originally Posted by Jai's Power View Post
    What survival gear/food do you carry in your 4X4's in case you get stuck or break down in a remote wilderness area and you have to wait a few days for some one to happen upon you?

Axe?
    Stove?
    Fire Starting equipment?
    Food?
    Blanket/sleeping bag?
    etc?

Here's what we carry in the winter...

I think we could survive in the winter for about a week. Me/wife and 3 girls aged 1,3 and 6. Also, we always leave a travel plan. This gear is in our daily driver from Oct to Apr every year.

WW

WW

i can see the use of the freezer in summer time but why in winter?

Quote Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
    you can never have too many jeeps...

Stock Merc on 24's

Quote Originally Posted by Tmax View Post
    i can see the use of the freezer in summer time but why in winter?

Arent u a funny guy today

Bruce
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin.