BC 4x4 Forums banner

The "Official" VHF Frequency for Fourwheelers

71K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  240 Jordy 
#1 ·
After a lot of discussion (see: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=119040&page=3), we've decided that 146.460 is the default VHF frequency for off-roaders to communicate with one another.

So all you VHF owners, please program that frequency into your radios and monitor it when in the bush.

...lars

#5 ·
After a lot of discussion (see: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=119040&page=3), we've decided that 146.460 is the default VHF frequency for off-roaders to communicate with one another.

...lars
I thought this was decided awhile ago? Ether way works for me! Let’s spread this around on all the forums and word of mouth to get everyone with VHF onboard.

Thanks for all you do Larry!

#8 ·

So all you VHF owners, please program that frequency into your radios and monitor it when in the bush.

...lars
Hi Lars,

Is this narrow or wide band ? Finally got my Kenwood TK760 up & running :cwm30:

Thanks,
Andy

#10 ·
Yes... but do I set my radio for wide or narrow band operation ?

#13 ·
I know my Icom has the settings for it, but I believe its more for tone squelches or frequency steps. I read it all once but I've since drinken too much beer for my poor brain to remember such trivial tidbits of information :) LR

#20 ·
i hope you guys dont get caught by th D.O.C (Department of Communications) using the hamm radio alloted channels could piss them boys off and they arent nice (most are old geezers and geeks that want to talk to nobody bout nothing) but good luck, oh yeah if the D.O.C. does catch you the fines are immense

#28 ·
Do you really need to be a licensed Ham guy? I have a license through my company to run these radios. I have never taken a course, just pay the money. I don't think I'm allowed to have a programable radio (even though I do), but the channels that I pay for cover most of them anyway.

#30 ·
To operate on the amateur frequencies, yes.

What you have is a commercial license and commercial radios. Yes, commercial can be programmable. Some business type are just pre-programmed channels, ie 1 -2-3-4 etc.

Commercial and Amateur radios are supposed to be separate entities, unable to transmit on eachother's freq. But they are able to listen to just about all freq.

Usually the commercial radios are set so that when you try to key up on a non-commercial freq, it will not transmit. Same deal with an amateur radio, when I try to transmit on a commercial freq, the screen goes blank and flashes something (I forget what) and will not transmit.

One is usually able to find on the net how to disable this, but it is illegal to do so except in emergency situations.

#31 · (Edited)
Speaking of mis-information...

Dept of Communications is the old name, before it became Industry Canada. Same mandate, different business cards. So if you hear somebody talking about DOC or Communications Canada, it's probably somebody who has been in the hobby or industry since before IC was IC.

A commercial radio is programmed to operate on specific frequencies. So you can't actually "attempt" to transmit on an amateur frequency if it doesn't already exist in the radio. Type-accepted commercial radios are not frequency-agile. Commercial radios modified to be programmed by the operator in the field are no longer type-accepted and cannot legally be used on commercial frequencies.

A commercial VHF radios' frequency range will typically cover all or a portion of the amateur VHF band. The amateur VHF band is 144-148 MHz; you will find commercial radios with ranges of 136-174 MHz or 146-174 MHz, or 136-152 MHz, or similar. So amateur frequencies CAN exist in a commercial radio, but they would have to be deliberately programmed that way.

Commercial radios may be used by amateur radio operators within the amateur bands. All of my VHF and UHF gear are commercial radios programmed with amateur frequencies, because they are better spec'd than amateur radios and have minimal controls for ease of use. This is perfectly legal; the commercial radios exceed the specs required by the amateur service.

If you are an amateur radio operator and have a license for your commercial radio, you can have your commercial frequencies and your amateur frequencies in the same commercial VHF radio.

However, amateur radios cannot be used to transmit on commercial frequencies, in part because they do not necessarily meet the specs required for use in the commercial radio service, and in part because IC does not want commercial users to be able to program frequencies on the fly, generally assuming that the commercial users are not radio hobbyists and therefore would not have the knowlege to correctly program a radio.

Funny thing, many hams like commercial gear, and many commercial users like ham gear.

It's not illegal to modify an amateur radio for operation outside of the amateur band, or posess such a radio, but it's illegal to use it to transmit outside of the amateur band (except in an emergency or during MARS/CAP activities). Some amateur radios such as the older Icoms came from the factory able to transmit outside of the amateur VHF band.

Licenses:

The Amateur Radio service requires the operator to hold an amateur radio operator's certificate. Each amateur radio station requires a license (callsign); this is different than your certificate. Your license covers all of your base, mobile, and portable radios at that location, and allows you to operate within any of the amateur bands (frequency ranges) for your license class. If you have a second base location, that location requires a separate license.

The Commercial Radio service requires the operator to hold a radio-telephone operator's restricted certificate. Each radio requires a separate license (callsign); this is different than your certificate. So if you own a mobile and a portable, you would require two licenses. You do not pay per frequency in the radio, but each frequency in the radio must be listed on that radio's license.

Greg

#33 ·
Hi I have a question about the VHF Radio... I was wondering, 1. Where to purchase a VHF Radio, and 2. Where can I take the test. I live in Hope, BC. and I have a friend who has one but forgot to ask him where he got his. Thanx. Oh and by the way, how much does it cost to take the test also? Thanx and hope to hear from someone that could help me out. :)

#34 ·
Check out the Chilliwack Ham club. I am sure a google search will bring it up for you. They can help with the test.

As for a radio. Not sure what is available store wise out that way, but there are HAM radio stores on line based out of AB and ONT as well as many in the US that can supply you with gear.

#36 ·
I have never taken a course for my land based (as appossed to marine ) commercial vhf. I pay my $41.oo per year for the money grab licience.
Here in Powell River we had a channel that turned out to be illegal to have so to make things legal we went to lad 3 "154.325 (public channel) with full tone 151.4" , so now we're on lad 3 but regular lad 3 users can't hear us or we them..... legal and private. :p

#39 ·
Just so you know, if they dont run the tone decode squelch, they can indeed hear you. but since you are running coded squelch you will not hear them.

#37 ·
Greg I am so glad you clarified the differences.

Likewise Westcoaster you as well are correct with the wide/narrow band differences.

I just love topics like this that get ramped with hearsay and mis-information. You two I cant thank enough for setting the topic straight. As the kind of miss information causes extreem headache and *DANGER* for those whom use these frequency ranges day to day. ***HATS OFF TO YOU BOTH***

#41 ·
after an exaustive web search i can not find a definition of LADD frequencys except for the following.

Industry Canada (IC) has recently approved the four LADD Channel Frequencies for Radio Licensing. Companies or individuals with only one or two radios no longer have to wait for a letter of permission from an existing radio channel holder in order to license their radios. Their radio supplier can apply with IC in their behalf for the use of 154,100Mhz (Ladd-1), 158.940Mhz (Ladd-2), 154.325Mhz (Ladd-3) and 173.370Mhz (Ladd-4) in their IC approved VHF radios. Larger companies may apply for a commercial (shared) channel frequency if they have many mobile vehicles needing to be dispatched from an office base station.

Soooooooo.... "I" ASSume..... these are public frequencys that do require a license which you purchase and requires no examination.

#42 ·
LADD channels are just commonly-used commercial frequencies in BC. They must be listed on your commercial radio license in order for you to transmit on them. There are some restrictions for stations located close to the Canada/US border; if I recall one of the frequencies is used by the WCS or Life Flight or similar in Washington.

They can make for good listening if you're trying to figure out why you're stuck in traffic, or if you're trying to avoid traffic jams.

#44 ·
I think i can sum it up this way, in Canada and the US you need a lic. to transmit on any frequency except for CB and FRS Family radio service
the marine band I'm not sure in Canada, but in the US you don't need one unless you have a comercial vessel or go to forigen ports and of course only on a boat unless you hold a lic. for a shore station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.