BC 4x4 Forums banner

5.0 Jeep YJ

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Davel 
#1 ·
I am in the process of getting parts together for the install of a 5.0 into my YJ. To start with I use it for only mild 4wheelin' and want to keep drivability on the highway. The engine I have is a 1986 Mustang Cobra 5.0 roller cam HO. I am looking at using a M5R2 5 speed trans and ? tcase from an F150/250. The question I have is if I will have to replace the stang's flywheel and clutch or will they work with the new trans?Starter?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
depends on the bellhousing you use.

The mustang starter doesn't work with the truck bellhousing, the mustang bellhousing doesn't work with the truck transmission, the truck starter doesnt work with the mustang flywheel

the easy solution is use the truck flywheel and truck bellhousing, but be careful and make sure you have the correctly balanced flywheel for the motor, there were two different imbalance for ford 302's

#3 ·
5.0 HO (there was no "cobra motor" in 86) uses a 50oz imbalance crank. From there you have several sizes of flywheels and flex plates available. 157 tooth for c4 and t5 bell housings. 164 tooth for AOD.

#6 ·
I have searched all over the internet and on numerous Jeep forums and have no one that has tried to put the M5R2 trans in a Jeep. Will this not work or is it a bad swap? I really want a 5 speed but can't seem to find an AX15 close by that people don't want a mint for. I can't see anything wrong with the Mazda trans as it is used behind a ton of 302/351's in a pile of F150 and 250's without too many complaints.

Any ideas would be appreciated(Keep in mind I am not planning on beating the crap out of this thing(well maybe a little but not extreme)

#7 ·
I used an NP435 because I had it laying on the shop floor already. If I didn't already own the transmission and transfer case, I may have used a light duty five speed

Actually I probably would have used a Chevy engine and 700R4 or 4L60E, but I just matched the engine to the parts I already had

How much do you wanna pay for an AX-15? I have one that I want $250 for, and how much can shipping cost?

#9 ·
I used an NP435 because I had it laying on the shop floor already. If I didn't already own the transmission and transfer case, I may have used a light duty five speed

Actually I probably would have used a Chevy engine and 700R4 or 4L60E, but I just matched the engine to the parts I already
Granny low is awesome but I really dont like driving with the NP 435 on the street. Not as ideal as a light duty 5spd/auto for a mild wheeler as Dan said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.