BC 4x4 Forums banner

Cheap plasma cutters...

9K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  barracuda 
#1 ·
I was kinda surfing around the net some with my father looking at plasma cutters when I came across this web site: http://www.purifion.ca/plasmacutter.htm . I noticed the price on the CUT-50D and found that that may be within my reach (if I can get the wife on board). I know it is no Miller or Hypertherm, but for the small amount I would be using it, just basically playing and building toys, it might actuall work. Now I am wondering if anyone has experience with a plasma cutter like this one? I have figured out that they are the same machine as the Giant, Longevity, Everlast, etc. It appears that they are all made in China and are just relabled for each seller. Anyone got any info they could throw in here. I have absolutely no experience with a plasma cutter, just the old hot wrence, but it might be a fun toy to add to the closet.... Thanks.

#2 ·
make sure you check the consumables are easy to gain access to and it almost looked like one i saw at kms in abby .
I bought a daytonamig plasma and it took them about 3 months to get me consumables :( but i suggest getting a airdryer besides the seperater/filter they supply (helps keep consumable use down) .

#4 ·
Yes good point on the consumables, especially when plasma cutters get finicky you will be going through tips like crazy and they add up. If you only plan on using it occassionally, just get an oxy accetalyne(or propane) set up. It is cheaper, way more reliable and they are great for removing stubborn nuts and bolts, either by heat or cutting, and they are great for straightening or putting a camber in something.

If you DO plan on buying a plasma cutter, better to get a name brand and pay like an extra k or so to get a descent one.

#5 ·
I just picked up a Miller 375 X-treme from KMS. It wasn't on sale unfortunately, but I needed one badly for some work here. Buying a good plasma cutter is just the same as buying a good welder - they're worth every last cent you'll ever put into them! LR

#6 ·
Depends what you want to do with them.

I went into KMS in abby yesterday to buy a 375 x-treme, and walked out with the cheapo special.

$250 and its got plenty of cutting power for what I want to do, eg. cut rusty panels from my truck. I run a miller welder and wanted the matching set but I couldn't justify spending $1200 more after taxes. The particular one I got (SIP) was made in the EU and had a German nozzle; which is great for me since I can call the HQ in Germany and order the parts directly if it comes to it. :)

I've heard you gotta watch the Chinese ones, they can self-destruct if you fire them up incorrectly.

Also, if you do order a cheapo one, try to order a bunch of the consumables at the same time; if you can't get the consumables you'll be stuck with a 50 pound door stopper.

In the future at some point I'll pick up a "real" (eg. Miller) cutter, but for now this will do without throwing my truck budget out of the window...

Cheers,

Michael

#9 ·
I've got a CUT40 version, consumables are cheap - $35. - $40. for a hundred or so pieces on the "bay" and a bunch of retailers. Most of the consumables are exactly the same. The guy I bought the unit from wanted $100. for consumables for lesser quantity, same stuff.

Turns out as soon as you get used to it, it works awesome. Finer cut than the oxy/acet torch, I've cut leaf springs in literally seconds.

The only issue some people may have is enough electrical power to run a 220 air compressor AND the 220 plug for the higher powered machine if you don't want to do any home wiring.:)

#11 · (Edited)
Kinda got lost on the way down to the bottom of the thread, not sure where your located but my old man is the sales manager at praxair in prince george, so he usually can work a deal with a good guy, i went in there on a 1000 $ budget and paid just over 480 $ with a new pair of gloves and some extra nipples and bits and pieces for the gun and it will cut through anything on a vehicle from frame chunks to roll bar, i went lincoln electric just for the bang for the buck along with a front to back 3 year warrenty.

Nick

Your from northern b.c. ? were abouts, pm me and ill get you a deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.