BC 4x4 Forums banner

Hella H4 vs GE Halogen Sealed Beams

13K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Matt16 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 98 XJ to which I just installed a set of Hella H4 sealed beam type headlights. The bulbs are replaceable. I bought them because they don't need a wiring upgrade. Hella's aare 55/60w. I thought they would be brighter but don't seem to be.

Is there something that I am missing - do they need to be readjusted, wiring upgraded, etc.

I have a set of Hella offroads with 55/60's and they seem twice as bright.

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Michael

#3 ·
Yes, upgrade the wiring and add relays, then add some Pia Xtreme white bulbs .

I've found that the IPF housings to produce the best light output and beam.

#4 ·
I use my H4s as DRLs, so they are wired in through two relays. I also have higher wattage bulbs, as mine are 24V. That said, they still suck on low beam. Perhaps i need to do a better adjustment. But I am not the only person running them to find that the low beam isn't great - regardless of the wattage of your bulbs. However, the high beam is excellent. Some nights I will flick on my foggies to help the Hellas out. Also have the foggies have a much wider beam and help me pick out wild life in the ditches when I am on low beam.

#5 ·
I use my H4s as DRLs, so they are wired in through two relays. I also have higher wattage bulbs, as mine are 24V. That said, they still suck on low beam.....Some nights I will flick on my foggies to help the Hellas out.
I noticed a huge difference when I swapped my Hella's to IPF. Next time a rock takes a Hella out, consider replacing with the IPF's.

#8 ·
10 gauge for the lights themselves.

Example:

http://www.opiebennett.com/tech/headlight/index.htm

Once you've upgraded the wire, and put a couple of relays in place, upgrade the bulbs to the 55/80 watt ones. You can go with an even higher wattage, but I found the 80 watt hi-beams to be enough.

You really do need the relays. The dash switch, stock, will likely burn up after a couple of years of use with a high-wattage bulb. Chrysler was too cheap to put relays in stock, so the switch ends up toasting itself with the full electrical load arcing through it.

#9 ·
I just put in HID in my H4 lenses and boy I love them. I could sell you my old PIAA bulbs or a complete HID kit. I will never go back to PIAA again my sleds are going to be switched to HID also. cheap and bright and use half the power and last 10 times longer

#16 ·
Thanks for the info Chris. Been getting my Hellas at Lordco for $85 but have to always trade-up to 24V bulbs, as i have no use for 12V bulbs. I have enough sets of 24V H4s that I won't have to worry about buying bulbs for some time. I'll have to see if Lordco's warehouse has IPFs. Regardless, IPFs seem to be the way to go. I seem to break at least two lenses every winter, so I should have a set of them for spring. Funny thing, Pic-a-Part wanted $35 per lense (plus tax) for old Hellas which I would have to pull myself. I just wanted some cheapies for the gravel and sand blasting season. They wouldn't move on the price even when i told them I was paying $85 for a set of new lenses with bulbs. :confused2

#17 ·
Make sure you check the voltage output at the lights. You might be losing substantial voltage at the lights. If you are losing more then a volt, I would upgrade the wiring.

I bought a set of hella e-code h4 (non sealed beam) 200mm lights for my truck, I also bought their 80/100w Xeon blue (white light) bulbs..

These lights are amazing, same cutoff like those IPF's that where posted.. My lighting system is brighter then most new cars now :)

Here is a picture of the output, keep in mind they where aimed to far down and out side to side.. I adjusted them properly but havnt gotten a new picture:

Big picture:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/2572000-2572999/2572486_153_full.jpg?202121-297

#18 ·
I measured the voltage before swapping in my first set of Hellas. As I said before, they are wired in through two relays with heavy enough gauge wire to run a couple sets of Hellas on 12V - way more than enough for my 24V. Complaints of Hellas on low beam are fairly common. High beam is excellent. I presume that the shape of the reflector has more to do with this than anything. I'm going to get a set of the IPFs and give them a try with the same bulbs and we will see ...

#20 ·
Tmax, I have gotten them at Lordco always and always Hella H4s. No, I don't have an account with them but I always ask for the account price. I know the list price is $125 and some change. Most of the time they give me a much better than the list price. I have now gone through three sets of them and have bought all my 24V electrics through them. Always deal with just a couple guys who know me - aka "that cheap guy". BTW, last time they didn't seem to have any Hella 24V bulbs there or at the warehouse, so i had to go with another brand which were a lot more money - even with exchanging the 12V Hellas which came in the H4 kit. Parts guy said they were industrially rated bulbs to handle the vibration of heavy equiptment. They are still sitting on the bench. Maybe in a year or so I'll give them a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.