Tamahi Creek (Chilliwack River Valley)

Tamahi Creek (Chilliwack River Valley)

Might do an over-nighter camp session next week, my quadding buddies said to try exploring up the Tamahi FSR (I might be wrong with the spelling).

Is it worth doing some light exploring around up there, also any decent places to actually setup a tent for the night?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Tamahi Creek (Chilliwack River Valley)

There's probably several places up Tamahi. I guess it depends on how "big" of a camping site you want. If you're just looking to crash for the night, I know on most of the FSRs in Chilliwack, all you need is a little patch off the road to set-up tent. Looking in Google Earth, there appear to be several decent spots to camp - some big some small. Sort of about halfway to the border, there looks like a nice gravel pit to set-up in.

Apparently there are two gates - one right near the enterance (which I believe is usually open) and one further down - not sure about that.

I haven't been the far up Tamahi, but if you do camp, camp close to your vehicle (i.e. don't park and hike). I've never had it happen to me, but the CRV has been getting fairly bad for break-ins.

Good stuff, thanks.

I believe the tamihi fsr is gated at both end now.

Where it starts down along the chilliwack river, and then where you used to be able to come out, near cultus lake.

Matt
    1991 Toyota pickup
    1972 Toyota Celica
    1994 f250, tow rig

Matt is right...that has been closed for a while.

You are better to explore chipmunk, airplane, foley....look up bench creek and army fsr....lots to see up there and lots of places to camp.

Happy exploring.
    You hump the one with the limp.

Hmm...I was thinking of the Tamahi that runs to the border, not the one to Cultus Lake. I know the one I'm thinking of is gated, but I thought it was open? I'm out that way this weekend, I may check it out.

Ditto that on Army and Bench FSR. There's stretches of Bench past where it and Army merge that have great places to set up.

tamahi is gated now for army training or whatever...i think there is a spot in the bush to the left of the gate u could camp in but its at the bottom and not the best spot..
    89 4L XJ, JCR stage 2 rear bumper, front tube bumper

There is another one going to Canadian Border peak...it's gated too....go to the other side of the river.
    You hump the one with the limp.

Last weekend I went all the way to the border on Tamahi FSR. Indeed there is a gate on the main road, however to the right of the gate there is a smaller road that goes down to Tamahi creek. This is not gated and doesn't require any "bypass". It is a normal road. This road goes all the way back to the border and at the end becomes parallel with the border. I believe the road then carries on into the DND land. If you go out that way there are quite a few logging roads that split off and I guess lead up into the alpine, very beautiful. Just make sure you don't care if the trees scratch your truck up... some roads are getting pretty over grown.

- maw
    1964 Unimog, 404.1