BC 4x4 Forums banner

harrison logging road

17K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bushpiggy 
#1 ·
hey guys, last night i drove up to cascade bay, and it looks like a pretty fun spot to camp and 4x4. But I have a few questions regarding what is further up the mountain. I tried searching, but couldn't find many answers.
*What is the purgatory are, is it worth it going there, or best advise to stay out?
*Does anyone have a drawn map of what campgrounds are around there, also a map on how to get to the hot tub?

*and why the heck are so many TREES down??? :cwm36:
thanks lads

#2 ·
I think they were just thinning the bush to lighten the area up around the camping spots ! It was very very dense and dark in there before they cut all those weed trees down !

#3 ·
If you want to see the camping areas around there and where the hot tubs are just pick up a copy of the Vancouver and Coast Mountain ED. Backroad Mapbook. You can buy them at Superstore and other places such as Canadian Tire, maps 14 and 15 should show you what you want to see. I had a post in here as to whether there was much snow up there. Can you tell me if you encountered any? Mind you Cascade Bay isn't very far along the road. Anyone been up to Silver Creek or even Cogburn?

#6 ·
From what I have see there should be no snow on the mainline all the way up to Big Silver river. Once you start heading up the hill you will start getting into snow around the 500-700m range depending on the aspect. As for camping there are lots of spots on both sides of the Lake. Just watch out for logging trucks and stay out of there way, they will be hauling on both sides of the lake for the next little while with many trucks from 20 mile bay and up.

#7 ·
Sounds like it is pretty far up the hill.
Any updated on how washed out the road is?

Clear Creek Hot Springs

Harrison Lake

This semi-improved hot springs offers a series of tubs in the midst of a peaceful Canadian wilderness. It is difficult to reach, though, as it requires a thirty-mile drive over rough roads.

Dedicated hot springers hauled in two small, wooden tubs and two old-time, claw-footed bathtubs for soaking. The hot springs, about thirty-five miles north of Harrison Hot Springs, is only accessible in the summertime. Even then the last few miles require a rugged, high-clearance vehicle. During winter, the road is closed by snow.

The mineral water (just barely body temperature) spurts out of the ground and would be going nowhere except for the tubs that were brought in to collect the hot water. There are no posted clothing requirements, so bathing suits are optional.

Directions: From Harrison Hot Springs, drive about thirty-five miles north up the east side of Harrison Lake. At Big Silver Creek, near a logging camp, watch for a logging road on the right. Follow the logging road for about five miles, then watch for a narrow road heading off to the right. This rough road follows Clear Creek for about six miles where you will see an old cabin. Hike this last six miles if your car is not equipped for such rugged terrain.

Directions to Clear Creek Hot Springs
By: Bulldoser

As you drive into Harrison Hotsprings your on Harrison Hotsprings Road. Once in town turn right onto Lillooet Avenue (the public pool of Harrison Hotsprings is on this corner). Follow the signage for Sasquatch Provincial Park. Lillooet Avenue becomes Rockwell Dr. as it skirts Harrison Lake past the marina. After a bit you come across the main entrance to Sasquatch Provincial Park. You are still on pavement at this point.

Shortly the pavement ends. It is at this you will now see a fork in the road. Turn left onto the rougher gravel road. This is Harrison East Forestry Rd. (A right turn takes you to Sasquatch Provincial Park Campgrounds). Zero your odometer here.

Traveling this road for 14 km. Brings you to Bear Creek Forestry Campground $10/night fee if it’s open (May till mid Oct. otherwise gated) from here you travel to the 22 km mark, Cogburn Log Sort Camp. @ 23 km there is a fork turn left cross a bridge then left again. Drive about 8 km further you come upon Silver River Log Sort. Strait through the camp to the other side

Zero odometer. There is a tall tree stump, posted on the stump is a sign stating Clear Creek 5.5 km. (Don’t be fooled at about 2.7 km by the turn off up Hornet Creek.) At 5.5 km past Silver Creek Log Sort there is a small Quarry on your right and the turn off up Clear Creek.

Zero again. One km. up the road is a gate. Hopefully open. Last visit I did

the road had deep ravines cut into it for drainage deep enough to stop most vehicles except those with good clearance***. At the 7.2 km point you cross a modular bridge, almost there. 11 km from main road to the Hotsprings, you will see a derelict bulldozer on the left side of the road. Just a stones throw away on your right is a pull out your there. Walk the rickety boardwalk and jump in.

***As for those ravines in the road, it usually takes a couple of weeks for the 4x4 crowd to work out all the high points, then the road is passable by a normal 2 wheel drive with some clearance.

I had an old hot tub thermometer with me. I measured 98 degrees in the uppermost wood tub, lower wood tub @ 94 degrees, Jacuzzi spa tub @ 94 degrees, 3 other bathtubs more or less. Not sure of the accuracy of this thermometer. One time after a complete draining/cleaning of the upper wooden tub and with all the hoses running into the one tub I measured the temp. @ 104 degrees.

A rough changing shack at the hotspring with shaky benches inside and very few benches on the perimeter of the tubs. A metal clad roof that drips cold rain water on your back just as you've dried off.

There are about 6 good campsites; on weekends there can be some crowding. Overlapping camps are the norm and sometimes welcome, depending on the nature of the neighbour. Unfortunately the yahoo’s from 100 km., around have discovered you can get in by car and try to do so, this should change now. The cabin that was mentioned in the old directions is no longer. Burnt down by thoughtless degenerates.

Time from leaving the tarmac at Harrison to the hotspring is aprox. 1 hr. and 10 minutes at about 60 k.p.h. ( I think that’s about 35/40 m.p.h.) There are numerous places for views of Harrison Lake and waterfalls along the way. This road if your careful and have a good map will take you all the way through to Boston Bar in the Fraser Canyon. Comes out at Nahatlatch Forest Recreation area and the trail end or trail head for the Stein Valley trek. But if you get lost in what has become known as "Purgatory" you could be there for awhile.

Total Time from Vancouver 3hrs.20min. Distance in km.173

Services: The town of Harrison Hot Springs and resort of the same name offer the only facilities in this area. Make sure you have plenty of gasoline and any other supplies before heading north from the town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.