EEC Power Relay Problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EEC Power Relay Problem

89 Bronco fullsize, 302 automatic.

My EEC power relay got fried about 10 days ago, I replaced it and then about two hours ago, it fried again. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this, where I should look, and what I should do to fix this and prevent it from happening again. $25 every ten days for a relay just isn't going to work for me.

Also with my ignition off, I have 12 volts at the yellow wire that goes to the fuesable link. Should I not have zero volts with the ignition off? What could cause this?

PS. I f_cken hate electrical problems. I suck at it.
    there's no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people

DAMS SUCKS hear me now, believe me later

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: EEC Power Relay Problem

Sweet. I just spent a few days with my EEC relay.

The yellow wire is constant, and the fusible link is on the hot side of the starter solenoid, so having 12v all the time is correct.

The relay gets constant 12v, ground, ignition 12v and the signal from the computer.

Can fusible link go bad? Can the ignition 12v be doing something?

Here are the EVTM's Ryan (FireGuy) posted for me when I was fixing mine:
    http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=36
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

The fusible link can't be bad since I have the constant 12 volts so that should at least rule that out. I will check out Ryans site and see what i can come with, in the mean time, I'm going to the wreckers tomorrow to pick up a couple of spare relays, thanks Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
    Sweet. I just spent a few days with my EEC relay.

The yellow wire is constant, and the fusible link is on the hot side of the starter solenoid, so having 12v all the time is correct.

The relay gets constant 12v, ground, ignition 12v and the signal from the computer.

Can fusible link go bad? Can the ignition 12v be doing something?

Here are the EVTM's Ryan (FireGuy) posted for me when I was fixing mine:
    http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=36
    So what was the problem you were having, Chris and what did you end up doing to fix it?

Following in the footprints of BC's history Lone Ranger's Avatar

Aren't they just regular ol' 30 amp 12 v relays? I pull mine occasionally when I'm away on the highway and they look no different than the ones CT sells.. Maybe try splicing in a 25 amp fuse holder instead of the fusible link so it cooks the fuse instead of the relay. LR
    Matt T.
    ----------------------------------------
    Ford Ranger nut

'09 FX4 Ranger with a mean owner

Quote Originally Posted by waltman View Post
    So what was the problem you were having, Chris and what did you end up doing to fix it?
    Mine was easy.......no constant 12v, which turned out to be a burnt fusible link.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    Aren't they just regular ol' 30 amp 12 v relays? I pull mine occasionally when I'm away on the highway and they look no different than the ones CT sells..
    The relays are a little different than the Hella or Bosch one's we are used to using, but one could easily change the sockets and change to the normal style.

Maybe try splicing in a 25 amp fuse holder instead of the fusible link so it cooks the fuse instead of the relay. LR
    I was thinking the same thing last night. The only way I know that a relay can "fry" is from to much electricity or from age. I'm wondering if the fusible link has lost its "fusibility" and to much amperage is getting through. I know it is a long shot.
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing last night. The only way I know that a relay can "fry" is from to much electricity or from age. I'm wondering if the fusible link has lost its "fusibility" and to much amperage is getting through. I know it is a long shot.
    Well this morning, I hot wired my pumps and would get about 1/4 mile when the truck would die. After sitting about 4 minutes it would start up , then die after another 1/4 mile. This happened a total of 4 times before I turned around to back home. The whole time, the pump is working. I am also suspecting the fusable link is faulty somewhere, but if I replace a fuseable link or two, would that stop the relays from frying.

I ended up borrowing my dads car and picking up several relays so I can afford to fry a few now while trying to figure this out.

I will start with the fusable link and see what happens anyways.

Yes, a 30 amp relay will act just like a fuse if too much current passes through, it simply "pops" and is done. This almost sounds a little deeper though, maybe a TFI module or the sort..? LR
    Matt T.
    Ford Ranger nut

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    Yes, a 30 amp relay will act just like a fuse if too much current passes through, it simply "pops" and is done. This almost sounds a little deeper though, maybe a TFI module or the sort..? LR
    I think it's my fusable link.
    I broke open my relays. The first one that fried, the factory one, was very corroded inside. The new one I just bought looked fine, so I plugged it back in and it worked. So when I plugged it back in this morning to see what would happen, the fusable link must have been set off at the time.

Anyways, I hooked up a voltmeter to the red wire that only has power when the ignition is on and while the motor was running, the volts started at 14+ volts and after several minutes dropped down to 5 volts and that is when the truck dies. Several minutes later, the relay clicks and the volts go back up to battery voltage.

So I guess all I have to do is get a new fusable link. cool

LR is it in fact 30 amps? I'm going to see if I can find it in my manual, but besides the words fusable link on the schematic, there is no actual value for it.

Where the heck is the fusable link? I am starting to uncover a lot of wire and no link yet!

No, the relays are typically rated for 30 amps in that size. The circuit's probably fused at 20 amps or the sort. Any manual with a wiring diagram should specify by colour what the values are of each fusible link, and albeit I don't know where they would be, my best guess would be coming off the starter relay or buried somewhere in the wire loom under the hood. Lucky I haven't had to mess with any besides a couple in my '87 Ranger, and it was an absolute whore to find and fix.. LR
    Matt T.
    Ford Ranger nut

I found what I believe to be the fusable link and I checked the voltage at both sides of it before and after it dies and the power drop to 5 volts is the same. The wiring is headed towards the engine so I will start there next.

Wouls the engine cooling temp sensor have anything to do with this and or the air intake sensor, because they both came up when checking for codes.
    I am about to check them and see what is going on there.

From what I've read, a fusable link will not reset itself, but the fact that it doesn't actually drop to zero volts has me wondering what that is all about.

I just checked the resitance and both were around 20 ohms, if that means anything. Then I checked the voltage for both, and they read about 1.25 volts and should be 5 volts. The manual says it should read 5 volts. So....it's my computer?

I ordered a computer for $140, should be here in the next couple of hours. I hope it fixes the problem.

Wow, I do a little work and look at all the action.

The links are about 6-8" from the hot side of the starter solenoid. I have 4 of them on my '85 (EEC, F/Pump, ? and ?).

That's all I can tell you. I hope the EEC fixes it.
    Chris B