Good bang/buck 31x10.5" tires ?

Good bang/buck 31x10.5" tires ?

I've got a 91 Ranger and I would like to stick some 31x10.5" tires on the stock 15"x7 alloy wheels.

I've been doing some searching around and it seems that the two good deals on tires in this size are

Pro Comp All Terrain (Tom the tire guy has these in stock and will mount for free)
    BFG All Terrain T/A KO ($130 from tirerack.com + shipping + mount/balance)

Both offer fairly agressive looking tread, and both are apparently really good in the snow.

I don't do any crawling, I will be doing a lot of camping along forrestry roads with washboard, as well as towing a utility trailer for dirtbikes or shuttling mountain bikes up vedder mtn.

I also drive from Surrey to whistler mtnbike park often so I don't want to go with something that wears quickly.
    '08 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited - Trimmed fenders
    '88 Hino FB Turbo 6x6 - Rockwell 2.5T Axles, Rockwell 2.5T Transfer Case, 47" Michelin XMLs - Thankful for a retired father who works for free.
    Talk is CHEAP. Take it to the trail and PROVE your point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Good bang/buck 31x10.5" tires ?

You could try the Westlake CR857. I am running them on my Sidekick and so far haven't really been disappointed. I've only tried them on rocky and snowy trails so far though. They were $130 loose and have a lifetime road hazard warranty. Maybe not the coolest sounding name but now you have more gas money to drive to Whistler.

Austin
    04 Tacoma TRD Xtracab V6 5 speed
    OME 2.5" coils, Toytec 2" add-a-leaf with Pro Comp shocks, homebrew sliders and rear bumper, Elite bullbar, 2x100W LED aux driving lights, 33x10.50 BFG M/T on Wheeler's 15x8 Type B black steelies, Magnaflow muffler, custom massaged quarters and BC pinstriping, blah blah, it's a truck and it works

bfg's have never dissapointed me. i have heard bad things about pro-comp. my brother has a set too and has had nothing but problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax
    hmmm. i ment to say its awsome
    '04 Taco TRD 4X4 v6 5spd- official truck of the taliban

if you have a saws-all I have some new 33X9.5X15 mounted on jeep rims (bolt right onto the ranger)

Give me a email if interested thedjjack@yahoo.ca we can work out a price that works for both of us..

9.5 little thinner have other advantages besides fuel mileage

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=126962

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
    if you have a saws-all I have some new 33X9.5X15 mounted on jeep rims (bolt right onto the ranger)

Give me a email if interested thedjjack@yahoo.ca we can work out a price that works for both of us..

9.5 little thinner have other advantages besides fuel mileage

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=126962

Cheers
    The truck is stock ride height right now, I don't think there is any way I could fit them. It's a 91 4x4 Sport
    '88 Hino FB Turbo 6x6 - Rockwell 2.5T Axles, Rockwell 2.5T Transfer Case, 47" Michelin XMLs - Thankful for a retired father who works for free.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The truck is stock ride height right now, I don't think there is any way I could fit them. It's a 91 4x4 Sport
    i have a 93 with BFG AT's 31x10.5R15 on stock wheels. i am very pleased with the tires. you may not be able to fit 31's on a 91 without a lift or without rubbing.
    93 Ranger 4x4 S/C, 3.0L, 5spd

I run the Trxus MT 31x10.5 and I love them.

Excellent traction in everything but deep snow (they suck in deep snow). I have run a variety of different tires over the years and for the price the Trxus are hard to beat for general trail use. They really excel on those loose, damp trails climbing out of creeks and holes etc. They do pretty good on rocks too. I'll buy them again.
    Lorne

2009 Sahara Unlimited - stock for now - Yeah, I wheel it :-)
    '89 XJ Built For Beatin' - RIP

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different ... Kurt Vonnegut

What about BFG

From 4wheelparts.com I can get the All Terrain T/A's for $459 + 80 shipping, pick them up at pt roberts,

Or I could get the Mud terrains for $551 + 80 shipping.

Thats saving me around $300 over what the local tire shops can offer. I can get them mounted and balanced for free.

My friend has the All terrain t/a's on his 08 ranger and claims that he's never had anything so good in light or deep snow.

Are the mud terrains better for deep snow or could I stick with the all terrains considering the hwy miles I'll be putting on the truck.

I dont have any experience with them but ive been told that the mud terrains suck in light snow, only any good in deep snow.

somebody feel free to correct me if i am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    What about BFG

From 4wheelparts.com I can get the All Terrain T/A's for $459 + 80 shipping, pick them up at pt roberts,

Or I could get the Mud terrains for $551 + 80 shipping.

Thats saving me around $300 over what the local tire shops can offer. I can get them mounted and balanced for free.

My friend has the All terrain t/a's on his 08 ranger and claims that he's never had anything so good in light or deep snow.

Are the mud terrains better for deep snow or could I stick with the all terrains considering the hwy miles I'll be putting on the truck.

BFG Mud Terrains suck in deep snow, light snow, rain and are noisy. I hated them when i had them and will never buy them again. BFG A/T's are just as loud as the Interco Trxus, the Trxus are cheaper then BFG A/T's and Mud Terrains, they're way better in everything but every day use as they will wear faster. They look cool, perform amazing in all conditions i've used them in, rain, deep snow, light snow, mud, gravel, they're even pleasent to drive on a nice sunny day. I'd deffinately buy a pair again. Since you have a light truck they wont wear as fast as a heavier truck. Try them

all terrain bfg's are some of the best for snow.

there is a mountain pass in california between reno and sacramento where you need snow chains between sept and june unless you have a 4x4 and bfg all terrains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax
    hmmm. i ment to say its awsome
    '04 Taco TRD 4X4 v6 5spd- official truck of the taliban

id go with the BFG's, I've Ran 31x10.5s, 33x10.5s and 33x12.5s on both my f150s in the past and now my bronco.. all were the all-terrain t/a's and i have nothing but good things to say about them, road noise isnt anything out of the ordinary for a truck and they handle logging roads and light wheeling good. the 33x10.5s right now are probably going on 3 or 4 years to so they wear good also!!
    08 Ram 1500 - Leveling Kit, CAI, Magnaflow Cat Back, 3" Body Lift, Buncha Random Lights!!
    Broncos gone, I need to buy a new 4x4!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg82 View Post
    A plow is never a waste, Everyone with a 4x4 should have a Zombie Killing Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
    bfg's have never dissapointed me. i have heard bad things about pro-comp. my brother has a set too and has had nothing but problems.

Your brother should have bought them from a better supplier then, they are a great company to deal with, they won't have unhappy customer's. I have had X-Terrains, I now run the Xtreme M/T, and I put the Xtreme A/T's on my old man's truck. Unless I was into running a specialty tire..ie Swampers, etc.. I wouldn't run any other brand. Hands down.

Also I know BFG's aren't a bad tire, but they aren't anywhere as good as their reputain states, for every good story out there there is a bad one, and that goes for any brand. Application is the key to any tire choice

just my .02
    my other ride is your mom

Costco, BFG at ko's cheap, 800 all 4 installed and balanced, 31x10.5x15
    You use your tongue purdier then a $20 dollar whore

94 YJ, 6 Cyl, soft top, D30 locked, ford 8.8 rear with Detroit EZ, 36" Iroks, custom bumpers, 456 gears, quick dis, yoke slip, CV, HID-heads-fogs-windshield lights, alpine, 1.5" wheel spacers, High amp alternator.
    Next, cable lock, F350 shock towers!!!