20r head on a 22r?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20r head on a 22r?

i was thinkin about putting a 20r head with a weber carb on a 22r. wut exactly goes into this? im told you need to swap the valves? buddy has a good running 20r with a weber carb that i can get for cheap and i would be putting it on either a 80-81 22r or a 84 22r from a celica.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: 20r head on a 22r?

At the top youll see something that says search...in that type "20r head on 22r"

It will then give you 40 links to this topic since its been talked about alot..

Hope that helps
    CRAWLINBC.COM

ya dont have to change the valves ... just bolt it on .

do the search .

86 4x4 , fiberglass bed , 1/2 doors , hood ... more to come .
    84 2WD "hotrod" Intercooled 7MGTE , CURRENT BUILD
    83 Trekker SR5 DONE
    MY PAGE
    2WD fourm I frequent
    Trekker forum

** NOT part of the herd

thanx for the info.

thanx for the tip, lots of usefull stuff in there. still a few things that were not in great detail.
    ive always been told that the celica 22r's had more power then the ones in the pickup's because of a different cam? would it be worth putting the celica cam in the 20r head? or should i spring for a new cam? and how does the double timing chain work if i put the 20r head on the celica motor and how do i go about switching it.

the celica cam has a slightly higher grind for "rpm's" pick up a little "lower" for torque .. so it depends on what you want ?

double chain swap is super easy .. all you need it the shorter oil pump drive gear , and its all a bolt in affair , the guides are even steel instead of plactic .. WAY better set up . I have done it many times . but it's will cost you about .5 -1% HP to run the double over the single
    83 Trekker SR5 DONE
    MY PAGE
    2WD fourm I frequent
    Trekker forum

** NOT part of the herd

The older 20R valvetrain had steel rockers. They are heavy and limit rpm. Toyota switched to aluminum rockers when the 22R came out (I think). It's a direct bolt on swap.
    Some guys out there think that there is no difference with the head swap because you are trading port volume for compression, but a lot of them haven't noticed that the intake port on the 20R has a straight shot at the intake valve whereas the 22R intake port has to turn a corner before it hits the valve.

I'm probably saying what has been already said a million times though.
    83 Toyota 4x4 in process, scattered in pieces across the garagemahal! Link http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=141969

can i pickup the shorter oil pump gear from any auto parts store or is it found in certain motors? can you run just single timing chains? im pretty sure i will be putting the 22r valve train in the 20r. i can just swap the cam and rockers without touching the valves right? i just wanna have every step cover before i tear it all apart

yep .. the valve train rocker assy, is completly interchangeable ... no need to touch the valves .

short oil pump drive gear is only avaliable off of the duel row used car .. toyota (I think ? ) .. or I think I might have one .. (but i'm not going to give it away ) .. or yes .. you can use the single chain , but why ?
    83 Trekker SR5 DONE
    MY PAGE
    2WD fourm I frequent
    Trekker forum

** NOT part of the herd

Something tells me the timing cover is different too. I read somewhere that there is a shallow timing cover and a deep one, and that there are two oil pump designs, a long one, and (you guessed it) a short one. I dunno, never done the convert.

If you are going to do the cam that gives you more top end then you should consider using the celica flywheel also. It's probably 7 or 8 lbs lighter than the 4x4one.

I'd get the low end cam myself and stick with the heavy flywheel. It helps overcome the inertia of the bigger truck tires.

Get a 22R carb adapter to the 20R intake. The 22R carb has more cfm than the 20R, runs better upside down than a weber(so I've been told), and an electric choke so you don't have to fiddle with coolant lines (the 20R carbs ran coolant through the carb and used it as a choke heater instead of exhaust gas or electric element).

I though 84 celicas had 22re engines, not 22r? My 84 had an re
    83 Toyota 4x4 in process, scattered in pieces across the garagemahal! Link http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=141969

any idea how much an adapter to put the 22r carb on a 20r intake is? best parts store we have up here is lordco. think they'll have it?

timing covers are NOT different .. 20R /22R up to 84 is the same size , the only differance is the waterpumps .. there are 2 different ones , and all they are is the bolt pattern is different . guarenteed , I have done it 5 or 6 times .

83 Trekker SR5 DONE
    MY PAGE
    2WD fourm I frequent
    Trekker forum

** NOT part of the herd

so if i was unable to put a different carb on right away and i had to run the 20r for a short time would it even be worth it? cause if its not worth it till i can put another carb on then i'll just leave everything alone till i do get another carb figured out.

If memory serves .. 20R carb is more CFM's then the 22r ... but I dont remember the stats . so I'm not sure ?

I ran the 20R carb in My /80 for quite a while .. before I changed to the Webber .. I liked the idea of using the stock air cleaner .. and even my plumbing was already there ..

83 Trekker SR5 DONE
    MY PAGE
    2WD fourm I frequent
    Trekker forum

** NOT part of the herd

Carb adapter at LC Engineering................$29.95

20R carb is 200 cfm
    22R carb is 290 cfm
    Last edited by 83LB; February 10th, 2008 at 08:32 pm.