BC 4x4 Forums banner

Superwinch LP8500 Reviews

35K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  NOT2HI_Ranger 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experiance with the Superwinch LP8500. Are they any good. Princess Auto is selling them for $499.99 right now. Good price but I don't want to get stuck with a piece of crap. Any info would be appreciated.

#5 · (Edited)
Not sure about the specific Superwinch model you are asking about, as far as Superwinch goes, they make very good winches. Superwinch’s where the only winch used in Camel Trophy for about the 1st 20 years of the world wide competition. In fact until recently Warn has lagged far behind Superwinch in terms of wet environment reliability and pulling performance when compared to Superwinch.
I bought my 9000ep from Princess, it’s been great. I work with a bunch of the US Camel Team members and all but one or 2 have Superwinch units.

#6 ·
This one is cheaper...

The NEW Smittybilt XRC8 8,000lb winch has a hand wound permanent magnetic motor which is the standard for the true off Roader. This is the most reliable motor on the market today. Two Year Limited Warranty, 4.1 hp motor, 3-stage planetary gear system, 265:1 reduction ratio for fast line speed, free spooling, automatic load-holding brake, power in and out and a roller fairlead. A 12 ft illuminated handheld remote control,. Comes with a 5/16" x 92’ galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable hook.

$289 http://www.rockriders.com/parts.html

They're on ebay too.

#8 ·
Don't be fooled, Warn, MileMarker & Superwinch all have their fare share of problems. Granted that Warn has set the standard for higher pricing, it never kept the others from riding the coat-tails of keeping their prices just as high for the longest time.

I am very casually looking for a rear winch, and will only buy Warn; worth a little more.

#9 ·
anyone have any first hand experience with the Smittybuilt?? I will be in the market for a winch come spring time and the price sure looks good on that one i'll give them that!

Then there is always the -you-get-what-you-pay-for- that comes into your head, and with something like a winch you know you don't want to be having any regrets when time comes to use it.

#10 ·
anyone have any first hand experience with the Smittybuilt?? I will be in the market for a winch come spring time and the price sure looks good on that one i'll give them that!

Then there is always the -you-get-what-you-pay-for- that comes into your head, and with something like a winch you know you don't want to be having any regrets when time comes to use it.
you get what you pay for. i dont undrestand why they brag about the permanent magnet motor.

#14 ·
I just bought one, they have a series wound motor according to the website...

There also made in the same factory as milemarker, champion, and the smittybuilt, but from what I can tell there the best one they make for that type of winch.

It'll work fine for what I want to do with it....

Won't be testing it till the new year sometime

#15 ·
Here's the specs off their website...

Power In and Power Out

Automatic Load Holding, Mechanical Breaking

Full Metal, 3-Stage Planetary Gear-Train

Lever Shift Freespooling Clutch

Heavy Duty, Series Wound Motor

Circuit Breaker Protected

Weather Sealed Solenoids
Sealed, Hand Held Rubber Remote
Heavy Duty, Powder-Coated Hawse

Heavy Duty Latched Hook With Rope Thimble

Performance 12VDC (1st layer on drum)
Line Pull
lbs./kg
Line Speed
FPM (m/m)
Motor
Amps 12V

18.0 (5.5)

2,500 (1,134)
9.8 (3.0)

4,500 (2,041)
7.5 (2.3)

6,500 (2,948)
6.0 (1.8)

8,500 (3,856)
3.5 (1.1)

Specifications
Rated Line Pull (Single Line)
8,500 lb. (3,856 kg)

Motor
4.5 hp Series Wound

Gearing
3-Stage Planetary

Gear Ratio
235:1

Freespooling Clutch
Lever Action

Braking Action
Mechanical

Wire Rope
5/16" x 94' (7.9mm x 29m)

Dimensions
21" l. x 6.3" d. x 8.6 " h.

(533mm l. x 160mm d. x 218mm h.)

Drum Diameter
2.5" (63.5mm)

Drum Length
8.8" (224mm)

Weight 57.0 lb. (25.9 kg)
Mount Bolt Pattern 10" x 4.5" (254mm x 114.3mm)
Switching Method Hand Held Rubber Remote, 12' (3.7m)
Switching Mechanism Sealed Solenoids
Fairlead Hawse
Color-Coded Wiring
Yes

#19 ·
I have had no problems with this winch since the day I bought it. Install was straight forward and it works just as good as new 4 years later. However now there seems to be more winches on the market that are in the same price range. I would probably check out others as well.

#20 ·
I have had no problems with this winch since the day I bought it. However now there seems to be more winches on the market that are in the same price range. I would probably check out others as well.
Thanks Loudfoot. I am going to pick one up and spend my extra money on setting up for a receiver mount.

Anyone know where I can get the "quick connects" at a good price?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.