BC 4x4 Forums banner

modded chainsaws. anyone?

11K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Cratcher 
#1 ·
so is anyone into tuning/modding their chainsaws? I just picked up a new stihl and its not really as good as I though it would be. sounds like the EPA crap really lowers the performance. either way any saw could use some kind of hop up. just wondering if there are any experts or experienced people in this field on the board.

:beer_cheers:

#2 ·
You can send it to Walker's saw shop and have it Walkerized but I think they only deal with Husky.

What size Stihl and is it got a black or orange handle ?

What do you do with the saw ?

My newest Stihl saw is a 2002 I got out of brushing and firewood cutting so I just do it for myself and haven't bought any new saws.

You might want to join arborist site .com they have a saw forum that can tell you what you can do to a newer Stihl.

#3 ·
the new saw is a 660 with 28 inch bar. belive it or not i just use it when camping. ive also got an old 281xp and the new saw barely has more power/performance.

i think i'll start by modding one of my old pullans and see how it works. i've also got a 034 that could use some more balls.

i just joined the arborist site last night and now got the bug. we mod everything else so why not our saws. would be nice to have some local guys to chat with.

:beer_cheers:

#6 ·
i`ve got lots of saws, i`d recommend selling it now before the bug gets you.

i`ve got an 090 stihl nib, an 090g, a ported 090, a 066, an 066 big bore, a 460 magnum with a ported 660 jug, a 460 magnum red light, dolmar 7900, ported 7900, 2 395 husky`s and a 3120 husky on my alaskan mill

#7 ·
They need a few tanks through them before they break in, it will pick up power. Those 181s are good, like the 288s I have run many of. I have a Walkerized 395, it kicks ass. But if you are just using your saw for firewood i would leave it be. You could also get the dual muffler, I had someone tell me they put it on thier 660, it is factory part that gets around the bunk muffler the new saws have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.