SAE vs. Metric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAE vs. Metric

SAE vs. Metric

Heading to Bellingham tomorrow and going to stop in at Sears and get me a set of Craftsman wrenches and sockets. I don't know why they don't sell the good stuff here in Canada, not the cheap Chinese crap.

Anyhow, before I buy the wrong kit, what is the difference between SAE and metric tools? If SAE is different what is it measured in - inches? Or is it just different wrench and socket measurements....?

Sears sells about 100 different kits for the same price - they don't make it easy to choose one!

Also thinking about picking up a decent torque wrench. What style is the best?
    1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE
    Lifted & Locked, Expedition Ready

Past Rigs: 1993 XJ Sport, 1994 YJ Sahara, 2005 TJ Unlimited

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: SAE vs. Metric

where are you shopping ? the sears in coquitliam sells craftsman tools buy the profesional series , also canadian tire master craft profesional series , gel tools at kms life time exchange at kms , ok quality less than half the cost , a couple of times a year sears puts on sales on thier tools thats when i load up i have probaly over $1000 worth of hand tools both metric ( japanese vehicles ) and sae (domestic ) you should check out kms before you head to the states they also have a tool clearance section in the back of the coquitlam store where i got some nice wrenches , some times you can find a set on sale that has both sae and metric with 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drives with the most comon socket and wrenches , then all you would need to do is but the other pieces as need be .

These days you need both SAE (inches), metric (mm), and Torx. My Dodge truck mixes and matches all three with wild abandon.

edit: my local Langley Sears has a poor selection of hand tools plus the shelves are usually empty.

[QUOTE=seatosky;734322]

Anyhow, before I buy the wrong kit, what is the difference between SAE and metric tools? If SAE is different what is it measured in - inches? Or is it just different wrench and socket measurements....?

QUOTE]

SAE stands for many things, but in this case I believe its for Standard American Equivalent. Anyways, SAE wrenches are measured in Imperial units (inches) and are different sizes than metric. Some are usually close enough to use as the same, such as 13mm and 1/2".
    To convert inches to mm, multiply your imperial measurement by a factor of 25.4, so using the above example 0.5" x 25.4=12.7 which is almost 13mm.

Japanese built vehicles are all metric, and I would assume anything British is as well.
    American built vehicles were typically SAE, but as posted earlier use a lot of both now.
    Jeff S.
    www.CoastalCruisers.ca
    '90 hdj81, '82 fj45 with a big bbq tank (sold), '71 fj55 (sold), '74 fj40 'hybrid' (sold)

[quote=Enigma;734344]
    Quote Originally Posted by seatosky View Post

QUOTE]

SAE stands for many things, but in this case I believe its for Standard American Equivalent. Anyways, SAE wrenches are measured in Imperial units (inches) and are different sizes than metric. Some are usually close enough to use as the same, such as 13mm and 1/2".
    To convert inches to mm, multiply your imperial measurement by a factor of 25.4, so using the above example 0.5" x 25.4=12.7 which is almost 13mm.

Japanese built vehicles are all metric, and I would assume anything British is as well.
    American built vehicles were typically SAE, but as posted earlier use a lot of both now.

british stuff is standard. thats where all the crap came from to beging with

All GM Vehicles use about 90% Metric hardware now, they switched in the mid-late 80's, No too sure about Ford or Chrysler.

As someone stated SAE is inches, Metric, is well metric... mm

If you looking for high Quality, why would you buy craftsman, go buy Snap-On or Mac,
    Jet Tools from Lordco are pretty good quality, lifetime warranty and made in Canada
    I have 2 Jet Torque Wrenches and they are awesome

And like someone stated Sears puts there tools on sale everyone one in a while, usually 30-50% I'd suggest wait till then unless you need them now. You can get the same Sears tool you can buy in the US here, but only some of the Sears around here carry them. And you can always order them in if you want them that bad

Oh and MasterCraft and Craftsmen are made by the same manufacturer.
    1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2, Pretty close to stock

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_Ranger View Post
    All GM Vehicles use about 90% Metric hardware now, they switched in the mid-late 80's, No too sure about Ford or Chrysler.
    My Ford is a 1991 and I can't remember ever needing a SAE for anything.

If you are like me and somehow lose tools like they are going out of style, I'd stick with the Canadian Tire Mastercraft stuff. Realistically the quality is good enough for a weekend warrior, and they are lifetime warranty as well. You can get decent kits on sale for $100. I buy one every year or so.
    91 Exploder, EB Dana 44, 8 inch lift, locked on 33's

If it's a 94 Sahara(your sig) you'll need Torx too, as mentioned. You'll also need fasteners so you don't have to put the @%#$ Torx back in !!

Short answer to the original question: SAE=inches

I've been looking for a chance to share this link

It seems Americans will use patriotism to sell ANYTHING.
    D@mn Europeans with their weapons of mass determination.....
    Last edited by Moose good; June 22nd, 2007 at 12:11 pm.
    Brian
    ...ummm...no sig....

Walking through Sears today and they have several Mechanic's Tool Sets for 50% off. Like this 88 piece one for $45:

napa has a nice set for sale right now for $100. it is like the set pictured above but also has wrenches too.
    92 Ranger 4x4 XLT 5spd - 6" BDS kit, 4.88's, rolling on 35's

A member of the Herd of Turtles

VA7WST

torx is sweet. Don't know why people hate them so much. Buy a set, like you would for your other wrenches and you're set.

They hold way better, due to increased surface area between socket and nut. I've never had one slip, pretty much can't round your bolts either
    97 TJ ... pretty much stock ...

[QUOTE=Tmax;734356]
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

british stuff is standard. thats where all the crap came from to beging with
    Well if you really want to get into it, there is British Standard, American Standard, and a bunch of other 'standards' for various different things (bearings, machinery,thread patterns, etc etc).

It can get really confusing at times.
    Jeff S.
    www.CoastalCruisers.ca
    '90 hdj81, '82 fj45 with a big bbq tank (sold), '71 fj55 (sold), '74 fj40 'hybrid' (sold)

The Sears in Coquitlam Center and I think it was Metrotown carry a pretty good tool selection. They have a good return policy, as does Canuck Wheel (Mastercraft) as well. Not the greatest quality, but we arent all AME's who are required to have all that expsensive Snap-On stuff.
    Jeff S.
    www.CoastalCruisers.ca

I got Craftsman from the Richmond Centre Sears store - because of the demographic, they had a whole bunch of tools that sat on the shelves for aeons, so they had 50% off sales on a regular basis to unload the inventory. Not sure if they're still managing the store the same way, but it was a real bounty for those who actually buy tools, rather than services.
    Dale McGregor
    DMMcG
    '05 TJ Unlimited