BC 4x4 Forums banner

84 F250 Front Axle Swap?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JeepinGPW 
#1 ·
I have an 84 F250 4x4 with 351W. I don't wheel this truck, I only haul my camper around on logging roads and use it as a tow rig once in awhile. I don't want to sink any money into the stock front-end that I know is a liability. I want to swap my front-end to a solid axle.

When did they quit using the solid front axle in the F250?

The donor axle I am thinking of is a late seventies solid axle D60 or D44 out of an F250.

If I go with an axle of that vintage will a 16" wheel fit over the caliper or will I need to address issues there?

Does anyone know if the springs are the same distance apart or will I need to relocate the perches?

I am guessing the caster should be pretty close so I won't need to rotate the knuckles, right?

I have done axle swaps before on other 4x4's but is there anything anyone has encountered with swap that I should know. Any info would be appreciated. I haven't picked up my donor axle so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Q said:
When did they quit using the solid front axle in the F250?

The donor axle I am thinking of is a late seventies solid axle D60 or D44 out of an F250.

If I go with an axle of that vintage will a 16" wheel fit over the caliper or will I need to address issues there?

Does anyone know if the springs are the same distance apart or will I need to relocate the perches?

I am guessing the caster should be pretty close so I won't need to rotate the knuckles, right?

I have done axle swaps before on other 4x4's but is there anything anyone has encountered with swap that I should know. Any info would be appreciated. I haven't picked up my donor axle so I am open to suggestions.

I'd bet it's a Dana 44. Get the BOM off it.

Not sure.

Nope, the frames changed in 1980, so I'm guessing now way. But you should be able to make it work. It's going from 80's axle to 70's truck that is very hard.

Caster, you can change that easiely engouth with your new mounts.

#3 ·
Ya, no I don't have an axle yet, I want either a D44 or D60 out of a late seventies F250. I had one years ago with a D60 in the front.
Get the BOM off it
I'm not sure what you mean. If it is a tag or something to identify the differential and gears, no problem. I can identify them.
Nope, the frames changed in 1980, so I'm guessing now way.
My truck is an 1984, does that mean there is a different frame width between my truck and one from the late seventies?
Caster, you can change that easily engouth with your new mounts.
I know about degree shims if that is what you mean or are you saying I need to weld on new perches? My concern is if there is some goofy caster issue like the zero degree caster Scout II front ends. This requires the knuckles to be rotated on the tubes to do it right. I want to keep my pinion angle correct.

#4 ·
Heres from my past projects;
I put a '79 D44 in my '70 F-250, it bolted right in
(I used the '79 steering box & made my own drag link useing Chev parts, cut off 1" from each threaded end & each end of the threaded sleeve, then drilled a new larger taper on the pitman arm from below, & the steering arm from above. This made for a level drag link)
The reverse rotation D44 & D60 w/disc brakes were only in late '76s & from '77-'79 making them hard to get & $$$$. You'd be better off finding a D60 from a '80s up F-350. Then all you need to go with it is the pan hard bar. I've done this swap on a '81 F-250 & it's a bolt in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.