BIG UGLY stump be gone! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: BIG UGLY stump be gone!

Quote Originally Posted by brian468 View Post
    explosives
    My uncle did that to remove some rock at the side of grandma's house. To bad he used to much of the explosives.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

A skill saw will work to carve away at the stump buy some cheap thin kerf blades. Its how I did a small stump for a old guy I work for it worked fairly well because I wasn't using my chainsaw to do the job.

another tool to try would be a recip. saw. you can get blades that have a real agressive tooth and about 12" long.
    i've used one for cutting roots out of the dirt before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris B Krunch View Post
    And expect the fire department to promptly show up.

And it's never a good idea to leave a fire unattended.
    Thats why I said
    yeah if you can get away with having a fire for a couple days, you can burn it out

if you can't get away with a fire for a couple days, don't burn it out, duh!

I just put a chain around mine after digging and chopping at some of the roots with a fire axe

if you were out in the sticks and going to burn it make sure its not in the middle of summer. the fire would travel down the roots and light up other stuff if there other roots around that can burn. dont ask me how I know
    -'00 4.7 Durango
    -'91 4.0HO Cherokee
    -'98 Civic plain base model boring commuter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
    My uncle did that to remove some rock at the side of grandma's house. To bad he used to much of the explosives.

too much explosives? thats like saying her boobs are too big
    2010 Dodge Ram, chock full of Labrador and chainsaw

Quote Originally Posted by brian468 View Post
    too much explosives? thats like saying her boobs are too big
    Size E fakies are too big. Ask me how I know
    I might try the sawzall, skillsaw and axe method for that old stump.

I had to dig out a 12" stump to make room for a fence.

Dig as much dirt out as possible. Use an old axe, or a shain saw, and cut away all the roots you can access. Remove as much root as possible so you can continue digging underneath. Cut, dig, cut dig.

If there is two people, a big prybar can be used to move the stump around. Makes it easier to get at some of the roots.

Before long (hour at most), it's out.

If you decide to yank it out, be careful. Neighbour did that. Too bad the sewer lines were being hugged by the roots. Stank up the street, he had to get it fixed, and received a fine (or penalty, whatever).

Have fun.

Tim...would do it but fixing ladder bridges this weekend on Seymour.
    I can't be stuck. I can still see my windows.

Following in the footprints of BC's history Lone Ranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklin at y'al View Post
    If you decide to yank it out, be careful. Neighbour did that. Too bad the sewer lines were being hugged by the roots. Stank up the street, he had to get it fixed, and received a fine (or penalty, whatever).
    Oh sheit that would suck.. Imagine the look on his face!

If its close to pavement and easy access from a decent sized road and no one would complain about a commercial truck there, I got a big ol' tow chain in the Western Star I can give it a yank with... Just a thought..

My second suggestion was a pound or so of ammonia nitrate fertalizer/diesel mix packed into a tupperware container and an M80 or the sort to light it off (should be sufficient). Dig under the stump and let 'er rip...
    Matt T.
    ----------------------------------------
    Ford Ranger nut

'09 FX4 Ranger with a mean owner

I have heard that the home depot in abby rents the stump grinders. That is were my neighbor got one. That was a year or two ago. Good luck with it.
    97 4Runner Limited

Talk is cheap, because supply exceeds demand.

rental place in mission rents a stump grinder

I had 14 stumps to grind down so I could put up a hedge.

took me lke 3-4 hours
    87 Samurai

I tried the fire thing. Cut a depression into the stump, filled it with charcoal briquettes, and put an old rim on top and let 'er burn overnight. Didn't really work very well, even though I cut air holes into it. It wasn't a dry stump, though.

I also dug out a rotted stump one time. A Jackall helped a lot in ripping it out of the ground once I dug a bit underneath it.

But for the stump that wouldn't burn, I called a stump grinder who happened to live nearby. He came by on his way home and ground it up for about $130.

...lars

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Too Much Driver For Car

Get yourself a 10' piece of barbed wire, bend loops in each end, and attach them to a pipe, use the barbed wire as a wire saw. If you have a block & tackle handy, it'll ease the sawing motion as you move thru the log.

OR

Get an OLD chainsaw (I have an old Pioneer, 18" bar, for doing stuff liek that)..

OR

Call the MythBusters....

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    Oh sheit that would suck.. Imagine the look on his face!

If its close to pavement and easy access from a decent sized road and no one would complain about a commercial truck there, I got a big ol' tow chain in the Western Star I can give it a yank with... Just a thought..

My second suggestion was a pound or so of ammonia nitrate fertalizer/diesel mix packed into a tupperware container and an M80 or the sort to light it off (should be sufficient). Dig under the stump and let 'er rip...
    Did he say a pound or so of ammonia nitrate fertilizer/ diesel mix............or 20 pounds? ahh , 25 lbs should work