BC 4x4 Forums banner

Avoiding ICBC surcharge.

25K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  Dook 
#1 ·
hello there.

I was involved in a minor rear ender over a year ago. Obviously, like every other douche bag, the guy i hit sued for neck and back injuries, so i couldnt just pay to replace his damn bumper, and my rates went up too.

When insuring my car today, the lady said only one car i insure has the claim attached to it, any other vehicles that i also insure will get my discount (25% i think right now). The question she couldnt answer, is, if i were to insure one vehicle at full cost, and another at my discount rate, and then cancel the full cost one a few days later, would icbc try to raise my monthly payments on the discounted vehicle? Or would i get a full year of discount insurance??:*******

I may be making this sound more confusing than it is, but i've met people who have bought beater cars just so they could temporarily insure them for this very purpose.

#43 ·
dude i totally support your idea of trying to weasle your way through ICBC's ridiculus premiums. ICBC is a joke, and BC is a joke for allowing ICBC to hold such a monopoly stake in the auto insurance business.

I've never had any trouble with them or any accidents (yet) and i hope I don't cause i already hate them with a passion.

#45 ·
You guys are ****ed.

The answer is yes; if you insure 2 vehicles at a time and cancel the one with the surcharge to avoid it for the year you WILL avoid it for the year, until you have to insure the vehicle again. You can keep avoiding it by doing the same thing over and over and over again. Having said that if you keep avoiding it, you are not paying off your 'debt' to ICBC and it will just sit with you forever as long as you avoid it. If that doesn't bug you then go ahead.

You can also keep in mind that as years progress your surcharge WILL turn into a discount assuming you do not have any more surcharges added. This means that if your surcharge puts you at -15% for the one vehicle, in 4 years it will be at +5%. At the same time your other insured vehicle without the surcharge can still be at a 40% discount or whatever you have accumulated over the years.

Next time stay on the point morons. He didn't ask for a morals and ethics thread.

#51 ·
ICBS spent over $25,000 fighting my ex wife's, and my claim for $6,00 medical expenses and p/s for the two of us. She is still in chronic pain, now going on six years. Mine lasted just under two months but I had to work through it all.
They as much as called us both liars, even though their own estimator testified the damage was a bit above moderate to my car. They classified it as a low speed impact. This policy had now changed, just after our case. We could have gotten over $60k in supreme, but went small claims to avoid having to pay their expenses in the case of a loss. we got like $10k to split, after over two years.
What a joke.

Years ago, I rear ended a BMW in my 64 Acadian ( just try to find a good grille!). I bought an old Datsun pickup for $200 and low and behold, I could get road star on it. I drove it for the winter until my Acadian was fixed, and when I insured it again, Road star. Like nothing ever happened. just keep leapfrogging the insurance, and forget about it. I never went down in my discount. I haven't had another at fault since.

Of course the easiest thing is to not have an at fault ,at all.:violin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.