shooting on forestry roads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

shooting on forestry roads?

are you allowed to shoot on a forestry road? or do you have to be off a certain distance. Couldn't find anything to tell me you can't. but have heard that you not allowed to, unless they're considered a two lane highway?
    breaking sh*t's a full time job

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: shooting on forestry roads?

This WAS in the manual when you took your test you know...

And im pretty sure it was on the questionaire
    97 4runner, 2.5" Daystar lift, 32" AT's, Bush bar, lights, Matte black alloy rims, Rear Elocker.

How's my driving? Call 1-800-FUC-KOFF

not much help. others care to educate me

Quote Originally Posted by Chucky3436 View Post
    This WAS in the manual when you took your test you know...

And im pretty sure it was on the questionaire

It's been upwards of 30 years since I took the test, and quite frankly I have no idea if that was even covered then.

So, off to the regulations I go. I don't interperate anything in there that says you can't shoot from a forest service road.

Now, I am painting the above statement with the same broad brush as the one "no shooting from a forest service road" This should be a lively debate....

Here is the hunting synopsis:
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/doc...egulations.pdf

Here is a paragraph from the synopsis:
    HIGHWAY NO SHOOTING AREAS
    It is unlawful to discharge a firearm or
    hunt within the road allowances of all
    numbered highways and any two lane or
    greater public road in BC that is maintained
    by the Ministry of Transportation (or their
    Contractors), the federal government or
    another province or territory.The road
    allowance extends:
    ( a) 15 metres on either side of the middle of
    a road with less than three lanes, or
    ( b) 15 metres from the edge of the paved
    s u rface of a highway with three lanes or
    m o r e, or
    ( c) to the boundary of private or cultivated
    land, whichever comes first.
    In addition to the above universal restriction,
    several major or heavily populated
    routes in the province have an additional
    400 m area bordering the road allowance
    in which the discharge of a firearm using a
    single projectile is prohibited.The discharge
    of a shotgun using shot only is permitted.
    These areas are listed in the section “400 m
    Single Projectile Prohibited Areas”.
    (page 13, No Hunting and No Shooting Areas)

So, if I read this right, one can shoot on a Forest Service Road IF:
    a) It's single lane, and/or
    b) It's maintained by the lumber company, ie Interfor, or some other agency, and NOT the government or their contractor.

Do we agree?
    VA7RNL
    Proud member of the Rusty Nail Lodge Militia. (RNLM.CA)
    Pirates of the Cariboo'n
    '96 XJ (Eddie)

My understanding was not within 15m of the center of a paved or maintainned 2 lane, 15 m from the edge of a 3 or more lane. So yea,
    The true Redneck is at-peace with the world. They always feel safe (not just because they have guns in every room of their home), and they are not concerned with what others may think of their Redneck lifestyle.

are you saying that you can discharge(shoot) a gun on an active logging road?
    do you need a permit to transport the firearm there and back?
    sorry, i am not a firearm kinda guy... just curious

BumpNSpin
    '82 CJ5
    getting re-re-re-built
    - for the last time

...honest!

If it's an active logging road maintained by someone other than the government I would say "Yes"
    Now, the ethics of shooting on that road are up for debate. You never know what's coming around the corner. Always be sure of your target and beyond.
    You don't need a permit to transport non-restricted firearms (rifles, shotguns), just your PAL. But for restricted (handguns) I believe you need a "permit to transport" I'm not up on restricted so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey overthetop, are you callin me stupid?
    VA7RNL
    Proud member of the Rusty Nail Lodge Militia. (RNLM.CA)
    Pirates of the Cariboo'n
    '96 XJ (Eddie)

you might be wise to ask Conky he should be able cite the exact rules and regulations pertaining to this matter and set you straight.
    I am watching you from the other side of your computer screen

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    you might be wise to ask Conky he should be able cite the exact rules and regulations pertaining to this matter and set you straight.
    I did...
    He didn't see any problem with shooting on a forest service road as it was less than a two lane road that wasn't maintained by any government (I am not going to quote a pm here)

He did say that if he did come across someone that was (target? **) shooting down a road he would charge them with unsafe use of a firearm

(** since we were discussing target shooting I included this. We didn't get into hunting and shooting game on a road)

With all my limited interaction with game officers, discharging a firearm on a forest service road has never been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BumpNSpin View Post
    are you saying that you can discharge(shoot) a gun on an active logging road?
    do you need a permit to transport the firearm there and back?
    sorry, i am not a firearm kinda guy... just curious

BumpNSpin
    There is nothing in the regulations that says you can't. I have been on several active logging roads where there are hunters clearly activly hunting and nothing is said about it on the two way radio other than it is an odd spot to be hunting.
    Once again, the hunter needs to be sure of his target and beyond. I would suggest what little the law would do to you would pale in comparison to what a group of loggers would do if you put a round through a windshield on a truck....

As for permits...
    The permit you have is your hunting license. there is no reporting necessary like there is with hand guns.
    From a total n00b there are five "permits" you need to get.

1) PAL , Possesion and aquisition license, this allows you to go out and buy a gun (federal government)

2) After buying your gun you need to register it with the government

3) CORE Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (provincial government) This is a course that shows you the different game and how to tell the difference, a little on how to clean and take care of your game etc.

4) Then you need to buy your hunting license

5) Then you can get your species tag (deer, moose etc) if you want anything larger than upland game birds

Quote Originally Posted by slyman View Post
    Hey overthetop, are you callin me stupid?
    I geuss I called us both stupid.
    The true Redneck is at-peace with the world. They always feel safe (not just because they have guns in every room of their home), and they are not concerned with what others may think of their Redneck lifestyle.

so where exactly would someone inquire as too which "logging roads" are maintained by who? not that fifteen meters is far to walk. thanks for the all the feed back

Quote Originally Posted by Bushman81 View Post
    so where exactly would someone inquire as too which "logging roads" are maintained by who? not that fifteen meters is far to walk. thanks for the all the feed back

As it states in the regulations, the motivation behind the highway no shooting areas is to keep people from discharging firearms in/near populated areas.

This is the part where common sense comes in to play. If your driving down a road and find yourself in a cluster of houses, a couple of things should pop in to your mind, the first being the people occupying those houses and their safety, second being it is probably private property (you can't hunt on private property with out the land owners consent) and the third being a municipality probably supports those houses.

If it is a forest service road with a frequency posted at the front you are pretty much good to go, however there are always exceptions that is why it is always good to get to know the area you plan on hunting in advance of the season (not always possible) there are all kinds of semi hidden shacks in the bush, some of them are in the most unlikely places as well.
    Be prepared to pass up a perfect shot at an animal if it is not safe. A couple years ago I had to let a moose go that was standing broad side to me. The problem was it was on a slight hill on the inside of a corner. Had I taken that shot I would have run the risk of having my round carry on through the moose and into an approaching vehicle that I couldn't see. (everything just lined up perfectly)

i dont shoot if i'm not sure of my target and beyond. i guess i'm paranoid about getting hassled about interpreting the regs, common sense is key.

I have had a lot of success road hunting, but I don't enjoy it as much as hiking through the bush and tracking/stalking. Just this passed year I started bow hunting and have fallen in love with it. I now feel hunting with a rifle isn't even fair, not that I have given up rifle hunting(I still like to fill my tags).

As for discharging a firearm from a road... as long as its a dirt road that is not a named highway(the only road between 2 towns or cities or major points of interest) it's ok to shoot on it.

You are not allowed to shoot from your vehicle.
    thats not broken! its "CUSTOM"