Budjet 16v 1.6l Turbo Project - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Budjet 16v 1.6l Turbo Project

I am not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to help someone out. Replacing internals = poop.

FYI

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516599

Supercharged 1.6l 8v, just melted a piston. :
    85 SJ413 - Cage, Toy's w/ 4.10's welded f&r, Longfields, shaved front housing, welded f&r, 6.4:1 tcase, 9500lb Winch, 33x12.5 TSL's

CRAWLINBC.COM

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

thats is an interesting read he had it boosting to 10 psi for a bit then backed it off to 7 psi and melted the piston then

I am aware of the hole safcII problem i was looking in to that when i first started thinking about the hole idea I do agree long turm we are going to go magasquart that was always the plan. I did some figuring and the stock injectors should be good to 135 hp at 100% load and at 5 psi it should make around 110 hp to 125 hp so for now this should work fine the thing is rarely used for 4x4 it is mostly an around town family car right now and will seldom see boost for an extend period

Progress Pics Started it up for the first itme since dissassembly today just to check boost and oil flow, very cool! Water meth is incomplete, got a few pics of the tank (overkill), how can you tell he's a welder/fabricator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0197.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	8922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0198.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	8923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0200.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	8924  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0199.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	8925  
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ElectricDyck01?feature=mhee

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Wow those pics are terriblel! I batch them on photo shop for size, I guess it shrinks them too much. I'll post better next time, hopefully not of a melted piston.

Why don't you just run a FMU, instead of this water injection garbage. Also a vacum timing retarding system would help you guy out underboost. Plus a intercooler.

This stuff would still be cheap, and could make it able to run your project safley up to 7psi daily.

Just make sure you have a EGT gauge atleast, and a wideband when you run this setup, or your just throwing your money down the toliet and wasting all your time you've put into this.
    Been camping at Hale Creek since the early 80's.

Finished bolting everything back together and went for a spin. Starts boosting at about 2500 rpm and hits 5 psi at about 3500. Sounds very cool. Guessing an extra 10-15 horse right now untuned with no water/meth. Much knock at 87 octane. Small oil leak on the oil return side to be fixed. Pretty neat, I can't wait till it's done and tuned.

how would go about locking your timmng

well an update we back the timming off to 0 or 1 drg it is hard to tell i think it was at 6 drg stock and at 5 pounds there is no knock at all. We did have one problem thoguth there is no heat shelds on the thing yet and we melted the clutch cable :S no worrys got a new one fo 29$ and will put it on once we have heat shelds in place no point melting this one.

We allso up the boost to 7psi for a test and found the wast gate was to louse at first now it hits full boost at 2500rpm insted of 3000. once we did get the thign to 7 psi there was not a chang in power but i figger becaus of all the heat soke you can not even tuch the intak pipe once it is heated up

the next thing on the list are make a heatsheld asap then an air water intercooler out of an old sprint intercooler allso a 2 1/2 exzost hope to get boost a few rpm eleryer anything in bettrer then the stock 1 3/4 or what ever it is we allready have 2 1/2 to the cat

and yes we will put on an magasquart just give us time

oh side note a gtech says we got 118hp at 5psi when it is not heat socked

Dont let these guys sway you on water injection, it is a terrific idea... as long as you keep your water level in check. Water injection is so much"worth it" that you could run without an intercooler all together, reducing lag dramatically. What are you using for a pump for the water?

Sidenote... turbo sprints had very small air to air intercoolers, sprint guys usually swap them out for something a bit bigger like a Mazda Mx6... maybe try an old saab(?) for a water/air. Keep in mind that a air to air cooler will cool better at higher speeds, and a water air will do better at lower speeds. Cool project, keep it up!

oh yeah, all you nay sayers shut the hell up, it takes balls to go against the grain... besides if we all did exactly the same, we'd all be driving JEEPS for petes sake! Gotta think outside the box!

edit - look at an early turbo sprint's distributor for ignition retard... they use a dual vacumm diaphram, one for advance and one for retard under boost.
    87 Samurai TinTop, 3cyl Turbo, Lobster, Yota axles, 235/85-16 Federal Couragia MT's

I would also advise not running lower octane fuel until you have your water injection installed. I would suggest reading up on Somender Singh's "Groove Theory" http://www.somender-singh.com/ before you blow your first head gasket.

I have modified the head on my car in this manner and agree that it deffinatley helps with detonation, and is worth the extra effort at head prep time.
    87 Samurai TinTop, 3cyl Turbo, Lobster, Yota axles, 235/85-16 Federal Couragia MT's

Quote Originally Posted by JooF View Post
    Dont let these guys sway you on water injection, it is a terrific idea... as long as you keep your water level in check. Water injection is so much"worth it" that you could run without an intercooler all together, reducing lag dramatically. What are you using for a pump for the water? .

I still say don't use it. Lets talk about what a real water injection kit costs, one you can run properly with, one that runs in boost with proper misters, pump, and a tunable map. That alone would be worth more then his turbo kit alone, and I thought the main word of this whole thread was "Budget". I still think you should steer clear of water injection and more towards a cheaper factory, reliable, proven method used in millions of cars daily, and just do a timing retarding system along with a intercooler, or a liquid to air system.

I'm not out to diss water injection, I have friends that sell these systems and swear by them, but for this kind of kit, and type of use it's not the right system IMO.
    Last edited by jarrat; May 18th, 2008 at 11:55 am.

Lets talk about what a proper water injection kit costs.. one you can run properly with, one that runs in boost with proper misters, pump, and a tunable map. That alone would be worth more then his truck and turbo kit combined
    The water/meth injection is in and seems to be working. The kit was worth $250 and included pump, mist injector, solonoid, LED light and dry boost contact. We tested it after I wired it up and without the injector welded into the intake. It was pretty cool it sprayed mist about 6 feet in the air.
    With no heat shield the turbo gets very hot. The first trip wheelin Jeff lost the clutch at the trail head to secret lake. The rubber/plastic casing the clutch cable runs in is about 8"s from the turbo and had melted. When engaging the clutch the strands of the cable would seperate and balloon out the ruptured casing. We fixed it with an aluminum can and some tie wire. I'll put up so more pics later.
    My other brother in law James is very interested in this project and has donated a do it yourself (solder) stand alone ecu kit. He is hoping this will give a few more ponies and keep things running safer. It cost $500. Along with that there are future plans for an air water intercooler with lines running to the turbo which has an unused water jacket to help with heat dissipation.
    As it stands right now including the donated ecu, the total has come to $1000. I think we can still call it a budget build as to have this done in a shop would cost much much more. Even so I think our estimated budget is officially blown.

Progress update, still no stand alone system, lots more vroom, no issues as of yet, except his driving style has changed to that of an indy car driver.LOL Here's one of the only pics I have of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYrew View Post
    Progress update, still no stand alone system, lots more vroom, no issues as of yet, except his driving style has changed to that of an indy car driver.LOL Here's one of the only pics I have of it.

Hey.. thats Jeff.. he sold me his Samurai to meeeeee!!!!

NICE!

Just picked up a 1.8L Sport model, thinking of ways to make it wake up...
    ***Trucks are BUILT not bought***
    XL-7 on tons ...
    www.crawlinbc.com