would you buy an ex-forest service truck?

View Poll Results: would you buy an ex-forest service truck?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

12 63.16%
  • no

7 36.84%

would you buy an ex-forest service truck?

i've been seriously considering buying a 2000 f250 4x4 superduty supercab, 5.4, 5spd. it runs great, has 100,000 km, warn winch, headache rack and a/c. it is one of the dark green forest service truck lease returns.

i'm not sure what the gearing is but it revs at 2600rpm at 100km/h with 235-85-16's and the axle code section of the door jamb sticker is blank.

they say that they replaced the clutch and rebuilt the transmission.

the price is right and it seems like a tough truck that i can beat on for a few years without problems.

is there anything i should know about a truck like this or any specific problem i should be looking for? anything i'll have to replace every six months at $1000 a pop?

thanks for any advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax
    hmmm. i ment to say its awsome
    '04 Taco TRD 4X4 v6 5spd- official truck of the taliban

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: would you buy an ex-forest service truck?

Quote Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
    i've been seriously considering buying a 2000 f250 4x4 superduty supercab, 5.4, 5spd. it runs great, has 100,000 km, warn winch, headache rack and a/c. it is one of the dark green forest service truck lease returns.

i'm not sure what the gearing is but it revs at 2600rpm at 100km/h with 235-85-16's and the axle code section of the door jamb sticker is blank.

they say that they replaced the clutch and rebuilt the transmission.

the price is right and it seems like a tough truck that i can beat on for a few years without problems.

is there anything i should know about a truck like this or any specific problem i should be looking for? anything i'll have to replace every six months at $1000 a pop?

thanks for any advice
    I bought one at an auction in the charllotes for 2 grand it had been driven into the ocean but there was value in the loggers box and all the rest of the parts made 1500$ in a week parting it out on top of what I paid for it .
    of all the things Ive lost I miss my mind the most

the difference is that this one is going to cost me about $16,000 taxes in

Quote Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate after a thorough inspection.

AFAIK, most government vehicle's have regular maintenance schedules; I used to have a contract for the downtown Ministry vehicle's and EHS. They were in for every oil change and every noise. Anything that was broken was replaced right away.
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

16000$ for a truck thats been like a rentle! I dont know Ive had my share of rentle trucks and I drove the crap out of them.On the other hand maybe it had one responnsible operatore and was looked after.Any way for that kinda a dough I would buy 8000$ 1998 and put 8000$ into it doing as much of the up grades my self. But Ime cheap
    of all the things Ive lost I miss my mind the most

it does seem to be well taken care of for what it is. i'm hesitant about the clunky transmission. i believe it's a zf transmission and i haven't driven many of them except brand new. the dealer tells me it's normal and that they did rebuild and put a new clutch in it.

it seems almost like a bad motor mount. when you let off the clutch in first gear it clunks up and down but the motor doesn't move. the u-joints are all good so i'm thinking that it might possibly be the transfer case. i'm taking it to a transmission shop later today.

one of the big reasons i like it is after driving it for a while i'm quite impressed with the gas mileage. 20 bucks goes alot farther in this truck than the one i have now with a 4.6 auto. manual transmissions make a big difference.

anyone knowing anyone looking for an f150 4x4, it's listed in the for sale section of this site.

i took the truck to hallmark ford yesterday and got their transmission guy to drive it. he drove really hard and jerked it around quite a bit. his verdict was that everything was fine and it's normal to get some clunks and backlash from the zf.

Any government vehical is usually very well taken care of and it sounds like the price is right with some good options, I'd say go for it if it passes an inspection

my 2cents

Driven lots of MoF trucks. I would buy one any day they get regular service (usually at the Dealer), are not driven that hard (mostly Hwy and open forest service roads). Very well looked after and not driven hard as most trucks and usually the bed is empty.

Buy one without thinking twice

Cheers

is it an MOF truck or a truck from a private forestry consultant?

I work for a private forestry consulting company and we beat the hell out of our trucks. Sure, they get regular service at the dealer, the thing only has 180k on it and it looks alright but I wouldn't want to buy something that has been through driving the equivalent of the houston 500 gangbang.

Something about not owning the truck you are driving and working in the middle of nowhere on bush roads makes you drive fast over anything you can, no matter what it is.

That price seems a little high to me.
    Paul Gagnon
    Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
    "No Brain, No Pain"

More vehicles than driveway...

Seems high to me too. You can get a private sale one for cheaper than that.
    Looking for some dolphin meat. Will pay top dollar. PM with offers.