Door Lock

Thread: Door Lock

Door Lock

Just wondering if someone can give me some ideas on how to fix my drivers door lock. For a couple of days my drivers door was sticking then I noticed a small spring had come un-done in the locking mechanism in the door..I grabbed it ,shut the door and that was it, I cant open my door anymore.

I have taken a door of my ranger before by myself and it was fairly frustrating to get back on all aligned. So was hoping to avoid that and I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer as well.

Thougts, ideas or suggest a place to bring it to..?

thanks for your time

Jesse-Vancouver

2000 2dr ford Explorer

PS, now that its cold out my bike is off the road and being a single guy this could have a major effect on my dating life...as I have to crawl across the passenger seat to get in or dukes of hazard style
    2000 explorer 4" lift and 33's

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Door Lock

Only takes about 10 minutes to detach the inner door panel on our Explorer. Careful not to tear the plastic lining in the cold and reseal the plastic when you are done. The locking mechanism is just held on with a little spring clip. Leave the window up if you are going to work on the door locks.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Just wondering if someone can give me some ideas on how to fix my drivers door lock. For a couple of days my drivers door was sticking then I noticed a small spring had come un-done in the locking mechanism in the door..I grabbed it ,shut the door and that was it, I cant open my door anymore.

I have taken a door of my ranger before by myself and it was fairly frustrating to get back on all aligned. So was hoping to avoid that and I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer as well.
    Pull the panel and check it out; hopefully the problem is noticeable, unless it is inside the handle. The rod may have come off the linakge.

PS, now that its cold out my bike is off the road and being a single guy this could have a major effect on my dating life...as I have to crawl across the passenger seat to get in or dukes of hazard style
    Better get a good coat of wax on the hood.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Ya the hood..sounds good "well we cant both get in there so just jump up on here little lady"

Alas the women i Like arent quite that easy..

in all seriousness, I originally pulled the panel and you cant see much some rods..and such but these are through some smallish holes, so it was hard for me to see what I should replace or how you stick your hand through the small holes to replace anything..and the door was semi working at the time so I didnt want to unscrew the lock from the door jam side. Basically it looks like it locked and the mechanism that unlocks has become dis-engaged..

Now as you can imagine the door wont open so the seats in the way and the steering wheel....so taking off the panel is now more difficult, but I geuss that should be my starting point.

Then I geuss tonight I will look over the Hanes Manual and see if I can figure out how to open the door from inside the panel. But how do the guys work on this stuff..its so hard to stick your hands in there and you cant see a thing..I dont think I can reach the lock part from inside so how they replace it is beyond me...

Do you think a guy with a slim jim or whatever they use could open up the door..?

Thanks Guys

Registered User Captain Air Time's Avatar

Ya the hood..sounds good "well we cant both get in there so just jump up on here little lady"

Alas the women i Like arent quite that easy..

in all seriousness, I originally pulled the panel and you cant see much some rods..and such but these are through some smallish holes, so it was hard for me to see what I should replace or how you stick your hand through the small holes to replace anything..and the door was semi working at the time so I didnt want to unscrew the lock from the door jam side. Basically it looks like it locked and the mechanism that unlocks has become dis-engaged..

Now as you can imagine the door wont open so the seats in the way and the steering wheel....so taking off the panel is now more difficult, but I geuss that should be my starting point.

Then I geuss tonight I will look over the Hanes Manual and see if I can figure out how to open the door from inside the panel. But how do the guys work on this stuff..its so hard to stick your hands in there and you cant see a thing..I dont think I can reach the lock part from inside so how they replace it is beyond me...

Do you think a guy with a slim jim or whatever they use could open up the door..?

Thanks Guys
    you might have to pull the seat first to get at the door panel, but you need to reach in and find the rod that goes to the door handle, and pull it. THat should get the door open and then you can dive in. might need some vice-grips to get a grip on it without the leverage of the handle mechanism.
    Taste the High Speed Dirt!
    98 Exploder v3.0

I was referring to sliding across the hood "a la Dukes 'o Hazard style".

Damn, it sucks when you have to explain a joke.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

well considering sliding across the hood does nothing for me in terms of getting inside the vehicle..I figured you must be talking about my dating life

I was refering to going in and out of the window as bo and lukes move!

but its all good.. gonna sit back with a beer and the manual and see if I cant figure this out..cheers

well considering sliding across the hood does nothing for me in terms of getting inside the vehicle..I figured you must be talking about my dating life

I was refering to going in and out of the window as bo and lukes move!
    He-he. Well, if you hit it at the right angle and with enough speed, you could slide across the hood and hook the a-pillar and swing in!

Good luck in figuring it out.

Chris B

I believe that the easiest way to fix any door is to call a locksmith. It seems to me that this is much better than repairing yourself if you don't know how to do it. If you are looking for a locksmith in Toronto, then I recommend these guys https://door-repair-toronto.ca to you. They have a really good reputation, which they deserve a good job. They really come to you very quickly.