Grizzly trucks? [Archive] - BB.BC4x4.COM

: Grizzly trucks?

gutted
March 12th, 2006, 04:17 pm
I know there have been posts on these before but I'm having problems finding any more information on them. Does anyone know of any sites that go into more depth? www.grizzly4x4.com is the only one I know of and it's pretty sparse. There was an article in the vancouver sun a year or two back in the driving section about them but the suns site doesn't go very far back. Any help would be cool.

Chucky3436
March 12th, 2006, 04:27 pm
It looks like the ugly truck from jeepers creepers.

Quite the tank though.

Dan
March 12th, 2006, 05:16 pm
When you get more information, let this guy know http://willbop.breebop.com/2006/01/26/the-grizzly-truck/

he sounds desperate to buy some.

I remember seeing thier shop back in the early 90s, it was pretty cool, huge presses and brakes to form sheetmetal, they did damn near everything in house.

Disapeared though, not enough volume to keep the price reasonable.

liftedZJ
March 12th, 2006, 06:20 pm
One of my customers drove a red P/U version. Older machinist guy from North Van I think. From what I understand there are issues about insuring them because they are considered homebuilt He said he got offeres regularly but that no one would offer him a reasonable amount. I told him I would buy but he didn't want to part with it. He let me take a good long look at it a time or two. It is built like a tank but you can certainly tell that it's not a "production" vehicle. Very cool though. I'd drive it. It's big outside and inside.

Mike Wild
March 12th, 2006, 06:40 pm
There are'nt that many around anymore. A friend of mine regularly works on one that's owned by the widow of the guy who used to build them.

Dustyxj
March 12th, 2006, 11:23 pm
Originally posted by liftedZJ
One of my customers drove a red P/U version. Older machinist guy from North Van I think. From what I understand there are issues about insuring them because they are considered homebuilt He said he got offeres regularly but that no one would offer him a reasonable amount. I told him I would buy but he didn't want to part with it. He let me take a good long look at it a time or two. It is built like a tank but you can certainly tell that it's not a "production" vehicle. Very cool though. I'd drive it. It's big outside and inside.

There was a red Grizzly truck in our old shop, Regency Chrysler (north van), one day about 5 years back and I actually got to drive the thing , Not far because I was just a lot boy. But damn that thing was cool, stacks and all!

HSOK
March 13th, 2006, 01:17 pm
Seen a couple driving around town, never knew that it was a small production vehicle. I just though they were restored vehicles from the 40s or something.

Hayes
March 13th, 2006, 07:44 pm
They where a Dodge truck with a different body. They bought brandnew Dodge 4x4 trucks stripped the body off them and built their own body.

Their market they were trying to get into was the resource industry trying to market the trucks to the loggers. The loggers didn't buy them because they had a weak Dodge chassis under them. Plus most logging contractors don't run diesel P/Us for bush trucks they are too expensive.

They used the old boxy body Dodges the trucks with Cummins and the solid axle front and back with manual hubs and the tough old 205 transfer case.

They used to sell the Dodge cabs and boxes they were all brandnew.

EXCLUSIVE 4X4
March 13th, 2006, 09:47 pm
There were a couple of them for sale on Ebay a few months ago.
I used to have some brocheres on them but I cant find them .
Cool trucks.

Hayes
Plus most logging contractors don't run diesel P/Us for bush trucks they are too expensive.

What are you talking about?
You would have a hard time finding a loggers pickup around here that isnt a diesel.................

ChrisL
March 13th, 2006, 11:24 pm
There was one parked at the Jeep dealership on Marine in Vanvouver about 2 months ago. First one I ever saw.

stihl036
March 14th, 2006, 04:37 am
Originally posted by Hayes
...................Plus most logging contractors don't run diesel P/Us for bush trucks they are too expensive.............................

You are kidding, right? Most loggers use diesel pick-ups b/c thats what all of the equipment uses. No need for two fuel types.

lakahahahman
March 14th, 2006, 12:30 pm
yup looks pretty cool

i wouldnt mind one

always wanted a diesel again

used to have a little ranger diesel back in 87

kore
March 14th, 2006, 06:09 pm
i know of one in north vancouver, near where i used to live.
i have a diesel toyota. it is awesome

Mike Wild
March 14th, 2006, 07:26 pm
As the story goes that I heard, the gentleman that started the company built a few as prototypes, landed a huge contract, blew a lot of the 'up front' money and as it turned out, could not actually get the trucks into full production. Wound up in huge financial debt and off'd himself.

Hayes
March 14th, 2006, 07:31 pm
Out here on the West Coast loggers buy gasser trucks for the ones that never see a paved road. Contractors buy new trucks take them into camps and all they do is drive bush roads. When your working in remote locations where you have equipment barged everywhere gas pot trucks are used.

Personal work trucks are usually diesel the gas pots are cheaper and easier to bush repair if need be.

The oldest bush truck I have seen so far was a 79 Ford F-250 4x4 not a spec of rust on it as it never seen road salt. It was well worn thou what do you expect its spend all its life in the bush.

The B.C. Hydro surplus sales is a good place for the loggers to buy trucks.

gutted
March 15th, 2006, 08:45 pm
lots of good info, thanks. Anybody have any different pictures of the Grizzlys?

And from the last post, when does BC Hydro have the sales? I'm looking for another truck but trying to do it on a budget.

Hayes
March 15th, 2006, 10:24 pm
Here you go www.bchydro.com/services/surplussales/surplussales600.html

gutted
March 16th, 2006, 12:41 am
thank you

rattle
March 16th, 2006, 05:41 pm
Originally posted by Hayes
The loggers didn't buy them because they had a weak Dodge chassis under them. Plus most logging contractors don't run diesel P/Us for bush trucks they are too expensive.

A die hard blue oval fan till the bitter end, eh?

Maybe if it was based on a F-250 with TTB and a N/A 6.9L you would be all over it. Or maybe one of those tin can 6.0L's.

Hayes
March 16th, 2006, 05:49 pm
No I wouldn't have bought one of those Grizzly trucks if it was on a Ford chassis either. Who wants a truck with limited production what happens when you need parts for it ?

rattle
March 16th, 2006, 05:59 pm
Limited production, so what.

I am sure that it would have fairly common parts for everything other than sheet metal. Not like it would be all one off custom built running gear, motor, brakes etc.

And the sheet metal doesn’t look all that difficult to repair. It is pretty much all straight lines.

Hayes
March 16th, 2006, 06:02 pm
Anyhow I still wouldn't buy one I forgot the price those trucks were going for but from what I remember they were expensive.

Mike Wild
March 16th, 2006, 06:19 pm
If you can look past the beautiful Ford in the picture, there's one in the background

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/mikewild/Picture1005.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/mikewild/Picture1002.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/mikewild/Picture1004.jpg

brian468
March 16th, 2006, 06:27 pm
that thing looks like a minitaure kw w900 :eek:

JOG
March 17th, 2006, 08:44 am
Wasn't the same company behind the West Coast Challenger logging truck and the idea was that most of the Grizzly Parts were off the shelf industrial pieces interchangeable with other equipment?

I haven't seen too many interior loggers without a diesel. Forest companies yes, loggers no.