distributor rotor not turning.....any other thigns too look for........ [Archive] - BB.BC4x4.COM

: distributor rotor not turning.....any other thigns too look for........

Chucky3436
February 22nd, 2006, 07:47 pm
Ok ive diagnosed my truck cranking but not starting pretty much down to this.......

I took of the distributor cap and cranked her, the rotor should have moved....nada.

First obvious idea is that the distributor is toast, but is there anything else that could cause the distributor itself to not run?

I want to check all possible options before throwing away money on the not so cheap distributor.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Edit: Well yah the timing belt seems most likely originally, but i should mention i JUST had this changed under a week ago.

Yoda_Man
February 22nd, 2006, 08:20 pm
4cyl? broken chain

v6 broken timing belt

StillRYE
February 22nd, 2006, 08:32 pm
yea definately a broken chain and if you have been tryin to crank it over you can bet you will have some bent valves too

pony
February 22nd, 2006, 08:40 pm
Or broken dowel pin on the Cam and Distributor gear. Done that before. :rolleyes: 22RE

Chucky3436
February 22nd, 2006, 08:45 pm
I just had the timing belt and water pump done though......like a week ago?!?!

I highly doubt it would have snapped in a week.

The truck ran fine, took it off roading a bit, came home, left it for a day, and by then it wouldnt start.
Unless something miraculous happened and the timing belt broke itself after i turned off the truck and the day after that.

Other than the hot start problem i was having....which is in another thread here, but im skeptical of any corelation between that and this issue.

Its a v6 auto.

BTW 3zve is a non-interferance motor, so if the belt was incorrectly installed and broke/jumped off, then my chances of bent valves etc are slim.
Thank god for that.

Chucky3436
February 23rd, 2006, 05:36 pm
Holy jesus h christ almighty.........

Heres a special one for you all.

My distributor, SOMEHOW after turning off the truck and letting it sit for a day, had LOCKED SOLID. After running perfectly fine and dandy. Turn it off....no problems. Wait a day.....turn it on...no sound of metal shearing/breaking or anything nutty......

The cam gear had actually tried to spin it, said screw u if you aint on the program and had ripped a tooth off of the distributor itself.

All im wondering now is HOW in the heck this happened? It almost looked like the rotor and entire gear section itself had been pushed down farther than it was supposed to resulting in it lockign dead solid. When hammered back up a bit, it started turning again, albeit roughly.......

Absolutefrickinglyamazing.

Now we have to fish out the metal tooth and get a new distributor........Hopefully the cam gear is ok as well, but since it took out the distributor i think it faired the stronger of the 2 and is ok......i hope.

Jesus, anyone ever hear of anything this wild before?!