BC 4x4 Forums banner

Exploring Underground

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  whitetrashxj 
#1 ·
I've been in many old hard rock mines, but will only keep going as long as I can feel a breeze or at least see my breath is getting pulled out/in of the adit. What do you guys use for detection of good air? I keep forgetting to bring along a candle, flame goes out = no oxygen! There are no coal mines here, so chance of flammable gas are minimal, but would like another means of testing since a candle is a pain to carry plus camera plus flood light! I don't smoke otherwise a lit cigarette would give off smoke which carries in the draft, thought about one of those mosquitoe deterrents, the coil which gives off smoke? Again, one more thing to carry.

#3 ·
I've explored a few old mines as well, and never gave it much thought.

I don't know a lot on the subject, but wouldn't you just notice the lack of oxygen yourself and be able to go back where you came? I don't see how a candle would give you any more warning.

#4 ·
not a great idea

not a great idea......

lack of air is not the only thing that can get you in hard rock mine,

"loose" can come down at any time,

rock bolts can give way and a whole walls can come over.

you can walk around the corner and be in dead air, the last thing you heard is the little voice saying "ops"

do a web read,

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/topics/groundcontrol/rockfalls.htm

be safe, it's just a hole in the ground!

#5 ·
How did I know Navi's reply was coming! Either from him, or someone else! There are many dangers to be had exploring an old mine like he said, cave-in's, dead air, etc, but with a little common sense and education it can be safer then crossing the street on a friday night knowing how many drunks there are out there! At least that's how I rationalize it!

Regardless, we will still explore the unknown as long as it's still there, so might as well take as many precautions as we can!

Westcoaster, that would be a great unit to have, would be nice to know how much!

I have explored a couple of mines with a friend who has worked underground for many years, and he told me what to look for.

The entrance is the biggest risk for cave-ins. Rotting timbers, loose rock on the floor are big give aways that it's probably not the safest place to go! After that, USUALLY the rock is fairly solid, at least from my experiences around here.

I always check if there is air movement, which means there is always a fresh air source coming into the mine. If I start down an adit, I will check for movement (usually see if I can see my breath being wisked away, or if it just hovers). If there is no breeze, I leave it alone. My buddy told me a story of a co-worker who was killed having his lunch break in a working mine, he crawled up into a small "room" just off the main adit. His co-workers found him there later dead with the sandwich still in his hand, and the bite he had taken still in his mouth. I believe CO poisoning was the killer. The main shaft was cold from the draft, so he climbed up into the warm room, but CO from whatever source had collected to a point where it didn't take long for him to succomb to it.

Just found a great link which describes the various gases and their effects in different quantities.

Mine Gases Explained

So, for those who haven't been concerned with air in a mine, now is the time to think about it next time you start exploring! If you feel a breeze, you know the air will be fresh, if it's stagnant, watch out! And of course you still have to be aware of shoring (timbers supporting the wall/ceiling), loose faults that can dump a lot of loose rock in the adit, and the biggest danger I've seen in mines around here are from raises which miners used to dump ore down from one level to another. I've seen a few raises which for whatever reason, had a "plug" of ore/mud in them release for unknown reasons, which almost completely blocks the adit. I've never seen one release, but have walked into one mine with a guy who used to work in it, and he was surprised to come across a plug! After that, I started watching raises when we came to them, and have noticed several that had ore behind the gate! Scary because you don't know how much material is there, or what it will take for it to release (rotten wooden/steel gate)! Best not to travel past that point unless you know for sure there is another exit past that point, or at the least have someone stay on the other side of the raise.
Raise

Rotten Shoring

#7 ·
iroc22 said:
Ive always wondered about the mold gathering on the timber in some adits..that air cant possibly be that healthy for your lungs!!
Good point! I would like to know sometimes what that stuff is growing on the timbers and rocks too, but then I remember the "science experiments" I used to do while going to college!:D

That is the least of my worries while exploring underground!

#8 ·
Yeah, every time the discussion of mold in a mine comes up, I think of how many times I've been through the Caroline Mines and have wondered how harmful all that mold can be down there!!

And I'd hafta agree with Lars, I'm bad for that as well. I just tend to wonder on in without too much thought. The breeze thing definately comes to mind right away, and all the other suggestions brought up are good as well. Common sense is the biggest thing that will keep you safe (and that applies for anything from work safety to 4x4ing to mine exploration).

Hard rock mines are about the safest (minus open pit) because generally its not the timber really holding the rock up (and that's apparent because when it rots and falls down, generally the roof is still where its supposed to be). If a shaft or adit is 100 years old when you enter it, the chances of it suddenly collapsing are very slim. It would have happened by now (especially down in the Fraser Valley with the recent "tremors" over the previous few years). Just my .02

#9 ·
this isnt much help but there usually is about 3 or 4 ppl smoking when we are in mine shafts, but the fact that knowing the entire thing could cave in killing everyone is alwase in the back of my mind, caroline mines were pretty scarey, something about being in a dark not to mention FREEZING cold minshaft thats not all to suttle for me,i managed to scare the hell out of myself when i went there we were walking across one section and i didnt realize that the edge has caved in and i went to walk off the tracks not realizing that the edge wasnt there, nearly falling in,

im not all to sure about where im going with this i just wanted to share my story... lol

#10 ·
Sounds like you need a better light! I have Princess Auto flood lights, rechargable 6V 700,000 candlepower. Downside is the battery only lasts about 1/2 hour max. I carry a spare battery for it, and also a smaller backup flashlight. I'm always with at least one other person who carries a similar light, so not too worried about being left in the dark!

I also tried out glow sticks last time we went exploring. The colour makes a huge difference, and they last for hours. They are a good backup-backup incase all lights die, a few strung together will get you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.