Impressive....... [Archive] - BB.BC4x4.COM

: Impressive.......

rkjplt1
June 17th, 2010, 12:20 pm
The definition of Tommy Awesume:

The reids held up fine though. The new inner "C"s will also be orange.

Tommy's recovery pic's and story to follow.

jeeponrock
June 17th, 2010, 12:57 pm
I guess it's safe to say that after that hit you guys went through the other stress points on the chassis (links, link mounts, link bolts, etc) and made sure there are no cracks or bends etc? Hard to imagine the front axle could hit that hard and not bend anything but the inner C's.

I'd hate to see you get sidelined again because something wasn't spotted after this hit. :cwm36:

rkjplt1
June 17th, 2010, 01:07 pm
I guess it's safe to say that after that hit you guys went through the other stress points on the chassis (links, link mounts, link bolts, etc) and made sure there are no cracks or bends etc? Hard to imagine the front axle could hit that hard and not bend anything but the inner C's.

I'd hate to see you get sidelined again because something wasn't spotted after this hit. :cwm36:

The link bolts are all bent to crap. I gotta crawl under and remove the skid plate tonight to check all the mounts.

I'm worried about the exact same thing.

Wil
June 17th, 2010, 01:11 pm
Wow that is serious carnage. :beer_cheers:

So both sides got destroyed or just one?

Wil
June 17th, 2010, 01:12 pm
oh what is the story on the steering arms? Are they TDD? I didn't know TDD built steering arms.

rkjplt1
June 17th, 2010, 01:15 pm
Wow that is serious carnage. :beer_cheers:

So both sides got destroyed or just one?

Just one, the lower king pin didn't even break. But I'm replacing it anyways.

Yep, Phil does alot of machine work for me. Those are his aluminum high steer arms. I've ran them for 4 years now with no issues.

killer toy
June 17th, 2010, 09:56 pm
pics

killer toy
June 17th, 2010, 10:48 pm
well apparently im new at posting pictures.... and keeping them organized but....

so me and Curtis went down to Sylvester area and camped in little iraq for the weekend to commemorate a fallen wheeler for a memorial run ( Dave "Stuckle" Buckle).

long story short. on the Saturday night. there was a couple young girls who were new to "our" 4x4 group and had never seen a buggy b4 this trip. and plans earlier in the day for a couple rides were brought up... and it was decided that i was gonna take the girls for a "buggy ride" jokes were made about "the wildest 8 second ride" and we were off for the first ride.... i drove away from camp fairly hot on the throttle to give the passenger a bit of a rush. we headed north from little iraq and proceeded to keep hanging rights at the forks... not too far from camp i let off the throttle and began to "cruise" and we began to talk a bit as we drove. at km 10 from little iraq (ill tell u later how i know this) we slowed down for a y which turned out to be just a pull out and started going again. right away we crashed. what happened was there was a small lip just before a 8-10 foot deep and 10-12 foot wide washout. we must have had enough momentum to leave the air and crash directly into the other side of the washout. my initial reaction was shut down the buggy and get out of the harnesses, drop the safety net and check on my passenger who after a quick lesson at camp had done the same... we first decided we had been traveling at approx 20-30 km per hour... after later driving in the tow rig and assessing the damaged we decided that we must have been traveling at approx 60-80 km per hour. the first poor guess could be attributed to the lack of windshield in a open buggy and the smooth ride from all the suspension tuning the Warners had been doing for past and upcoming races. After a quick asses of the damage of a broken axel and broken knuckle we decided the rig was undrivable. so we made the decision to walk back to camp. so we began a very long hike on the fsr road. about half way we cam across a group of campers that denied us a ride the remainder of the way....we continued to walk....within 100m of camp we met the search party that had began to go look for us and they had already went several km up and back down the other road. this is when i had the painful task of explaining to Curtis what had happened... after a few tense moments where priority number 1 was making sure we were both ok. i explained that we could drive the tow-rig and trailer to withing feet of the broken buggy and a small recovery team set out. we set the trip odometer in the truck and found the buggy to be 9.9 km from camp. once we got there we assessed the situation and decided how a recovery was going to take place resulting the buggy being driven/ pushed in reverse onto the trailer. with lots of maneuvering, winching, swearing, lifting, and pushing the task was complete buggy was on the trailer and we set back for camp... once we arrived it was 5:17 am and the sun was just coming up.

would like to thank my co pilot kelly for being such a trooper and not complaining at all
rocco b and rob d for their huge help in the recovery.
arron for sleeping the whole time in the back of the recovery Toyota.
curtis for not killing me.
ang (curtis's wife) for not killing me
and dave for well... not killing me

i would also like to say as much as this was a accident and do not wish this upon anyone as i am in a fair deal of pain just from the hit of impact. i would like to say that i am glad that this accident was in a well built buggy like Curtis's because it had full safety harnesses and they were put to good use. i was before but even more now am a firm believer of wearing your seat belt while wheeling..

this is my version of the story. anyone else who was not there, was at camp, was sittiing at home, on your computer somewhere, or has only just herd of this now may please add to and or correct my story thank you

Tommy

jeeponrock
June 18th, 2010, 12:25 am
Ahh the things we do to impress the girls :D

Good on you for doing the right thing and helping Curtis getting his buggy back on all four. Glad to hear you and your passenger are doing ok.

fj401ton
June 18th, 2010, 05:38 am
nice guys, glad everyone was ok. and nice to see the reid knuckles can take a good hit and survive.

J20
June 18th, 2010, 06:23 am
all this action and i was sleepin back @ camp.......i woke up @ 530 am to here Curty say "im going to bed".........LMAO

DaveW
June 18th, 2010, 08:38 am
Wish I was there just to see you tell Angela. That would have been a scary moment!

Wil
June 18th, 2010, 08:59 am
Ahh the things we do to impress the girls :D

Good on you for doing the right thing and helping Curtis getting his buggy back on all four. Glad to hear you and your passenger are doing ok.

x2

Thanks for the pics and writeup.

rkjplt1
June 18th, 2010, 01:45 pm
So a pile of parts showed up today from Jeap Thrills. Thanks again B. :beer_cheers: They always work on my time line not theirs.
Axle shaft is a predator from the gear centre.

These should do.....

Arnee2
June 22nd, 2010, 09:13 pm
I picked those up for B across the border. didn't even clue in that they might be for you.

rkjplt1
June 23rd, 2010, 09:07 am
Thanks, got it back together. Just need to swap some shocks for the race on sunday.

jcole
June 23rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Glad you're both alright. Did you atleast get a sympathy lay ?

miller
July 8th, 2010, 12:08 pm
I was much more gentle with her :D Glad you made out okay though dude. Hugs for seatbelts. Kelly's a trooper for sure.

EHeye
July 9th, 2010, 11:32 am
Woulda been cheaper to rent a hooker. :finger_1:

Glad you were alright! :beer

rkjplt1
July 15th, 2010, 11:52 am
Glad you're both alright. Did you atleast get a sympathy lay ?

Word is no.

I was much more gentle with her :D Glad you made out okay though dude. Hugs for seatbelts. Kelly's a trooper for sure.

For sure.

Woulda been cheaper to rent a hooker. :finger_1:

Glad you were alright! :beer

Yes, I told him to get a "massage" to make his back and life feel better.