BC 4x4 Forums banner

Britannia Copper mines

115K views 291 replies 71 participants last post by  Socco 
#1 ·
A year or so ago back I ended up going back behind Britannia Beach just following the road to see what was back there. It got dark on me so i didn't end up getting that far and I got stuck and have to dig myself out of some thick mud.

What else is back there? Is it worth exploring more?

Here are my photos:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Matt, I'd be into going back in there to have a look around. Maybe in March after the olympics are done & the snow line is higher still? I've heard there is an old ghost town, and the remains of a small ski hill that used to run for the mine workers. Also some more entrances to the mines.

#5 ·
I'd be in for that outing too. The wife possibly also. We went a ways up last year but were in a rush to get back after a Harrsion West - Pemby - stop at the springs trip.

Does anyone know what the elevation is to the top? Day trip elevation or camp up there, long trip kinda elevation?

#7 ·
It's a day trip. I'd be willing to lead a group back up there but they are actively logging in there right now. The gate is generally open during the week but closed on the weekends.

It would be iffy on whether we would have access or not. I've only had luck during weekdays. I wouldn't be heading up till the spring either. There is a shelf road up to the mine that I will not be doing with any kind of snow on it.

#14 ·
I have no idea if this is the place you're looking for, but a quick google search notes a place called "Mount Sheer" and shows the remains of a mining town somewhere up Brittania creek....near a place called Jane Creek.

I found these co-ordinates kicking around, not sure how significant they are, but if you look on google earth it shows something in that area. N49 37 4 W123 08 7

#16 ·
Mt Sheer rings a bell for the ski hill, I think I saw it in one of my guide books. I'd be into a midweek trip, I have fridays free through feb (and tomorow).

I wonder if we could arrange to get a key for a Saturday run? Anybody know who's logging in there?

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
I can do any most Thursdays, and Sundays. I wonder if we'd have trouble going during the Olympics... I'd bet we would to be honest. Anyone know what restrictions are going to be put on the Sea to Sky during the Games?

Two weeks ago the gate was left open on the furry creek fsr. Grabbed ahold of the opportunity with both hands and went up to have a look.

The main challange is getting through either gate. Both the furry creek one and another through Brittania Beach are for the most part locked. If someone has or knows of a key program PM me please....
If you mean the main gate onto the road that goes past the quarry, I've only seen it locked once.

#23 ·
Monday the freezing level is supposed to drop substantially and be wet, so probably snow up at that level. I'm thinking more of a spring time thing. Besides, do you really want to Sea to Sky it right now as everything's moving up to Whistler for the games? I'd rather avoid it at all costs.

#25 ·
That's a good idea. We have a 2.5 mos. old puppy and I have to spent pretty much every day with her to make sure she doesn't crap in the house. So I can't really take a week day off until she's at least a month older.

...lars

#34 ·
If people refer back to post #1 by Matt16, you'll see that there is a huge potential for a massive amount of "get stuck" mud up there. I'm all in and game for an outing to go, but with snow falling so late in the year, the snowpack that exists and then the inevitable melt and run-off from said snowpack, I'm not going to be makiing any plans to go up there only to find out I have to tuen around because of 3 feet deep mud. I'll wait til early summer. I'll put a post up well in advance of when I do plan to go.

I was up at Hut today with Swivel Head and I was looking at the mountains to the east thinking about Britannia. We hot a bit of snow going up to Hut (not much, but it was there) and seeing that along with the pics Matt16 posted, I'll play it safe and wait til I know the mud's gone. What fun is tromping around in mud and having to clean all that crap off your rig when there's a plentitude of good wheeling to do that isn't mud covered like we see in post #1?

If anyone heads up sooner, I'll be happy to see and read that you made it. That may expedite my trip plans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.