Motors [Archive] - BB.BC4x4.COM

: Motors

Wil
October 29th, 2009, 08:46 pm
Just starting the aquisition phase, what is the local going rate for 5.3's? 5.7's. I'm guessing that 6.0's are still pretty damn expensive around here.

TonkaToyKiller
October 30th, 2009, 08:29 am
Just starting the aquisition phase, what is the local going rate for 5.3's? 5.7's. I'm guessing that 6.0's are still pretty damn expensive around here.

Should be able to find an older 5.3L 98-06 iron block for cheap.
Say $500 to $1500
Iron block 6.0L will be a little more but not by much.

The aluminum 5.3L will be a little more. 1500 to 3000 pending yr and engine code
L33-LH8 ect

As for the LSI 5.7. Most people want way to much for them. They only came in the Vetts and Camero's/Fire chickens. The 98-99 blocks are know for cracking around the oil gallery port, back side of the block, passenger side. Last time I looked was ruffly 3000-4500.

If wieght is a factor try to find an aluminum 5.3L, unless you run accross a 6.2L. The SSR,Cadalliacs,Vetts,GTO,G8, and new Camero are all potential donors
I think all trucks built in 08-present have the aluminum 5.3L.

If it's more cost related and a 4.8L just won't do for you. (They are the cheapest by far $200-300 is about all they are worth) then I'd look closely at a iron block 5.3 with aluminum heads.

With a cam change and some CPU mod, stock intake,stock fuel system and stock bottom end you can easily get 400 HP for under 2G

@2g includes the purchase price of the engine. What tends to nickle and dime guys to death is all sensors. I.E. MAF,MAP,O2's ect. Make sure if you plan to buy an engine that it comes with a harness,CPU and all the sensors, O2's ect.
If you get a newer engine that is TBW, make sure you get the pedal assembly.
This will deffinatly keep your cost down.

Or the other opption is to run an after market harness. Pending what you get,want it could cost as little as 800 up to 1500.

Billvista on pirate4x4 did a pretty good write up on the newer Gen III and GEN IV engines.

Post up Q's. A few of us here are running the newer GEN III's and Gen IV

rkitjp has a stock LS1 from a Camero and a iron block 5.3 with aluminum heads and cam
fj40 has an LS1. Not usre what from
Dave W as a 6.2L froma SSR
I have an LH8-aluminum 5.3 from an H3A Hummer. I'm getting an iron block 6.0l engine for free. (Very tired and needs an over haul) for doing an engine swap for my brother inlaw.
The 6.0L will get built some time down the road. Plan is for around 550-600 HP

jeeponrock
October 30th, 2009, 08:55 am
FYI - The Dec 09 issue of Chevy High Performance magazine has a great article on every Gen III & IV engine. They go through the specs for each motor, which vehicles it's in, some basic mods, and some pros/cons.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/shortblock/0912chp_performance_chevy_ls_engine_comparison/index.html

TonkaToyKiller
October 31st, 2009, 10:41 am
This is not bad for a read. Need to get past all the hipe and bs and look at the #'s

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0804_325_chevy_small_block_engine/index.html

100hp with just a cam swap on stock internals! Doesn't have stump pulling power down low, but if your gearing is set up and TQ con (if auto) you can come pretty hard out of the hole.

FYI The newer stock heads flow almost as well as the after market heads in the artical. heads might be good for 20-30hp
A cam is deffinatly the best bag for the buck!

Wil
October 31st, 2009, 11:02 am
thanks for the links and information. Really good reading material.

fj401ton
October 31st, 2009, 02:57 pm
my ls1 came from a 99 f body, and am hoping it's going to last a couple of seasons.

DaveW
October 31st, 2009, 05:13 pm
And mine is an LS2 6.0L from a trailblazer SS.

Tons of options and stuff out there, before stubbling across the LS2 I was thinking the iron block aluminum headed 6.0L LQ9. They had a few at hte lkqcorp.com for $900

Wil
November 1st, 2009, 02:28 pm
This is not bad for a read. Need to get past all the hipe and bs and look at the #'s

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0804_325_chevy_small_block_engine/index.html

100hp with just a cam swap on stock internals! Doesn't have stump pulling power down low, but if your gearing is set up and TQ con (if auto) you can come pretty hard out of the hole.

FYI The newer stock heads flow almost as well as the after market heads in the artical. heads might be good for 20-30hp
A cam is deffinatly the best bag for the buck!

wow, that is really inspiring article, thanks for the link. I'm guessing that the 5.3 iron block truck motor is going to be the cheapest to buy, seeing that kind of power for low amounts of money is very appealing.

rkjplt1
November 2nd, 2009, 09:08 pm
Mine was a '02 chickenhawk. It lasted 2 seasons of hard abuse until It developed a rod knock. It was my fault though. I never ran a baffle in the pan until later. With the accumulator and baffle I rarely have oiling issues. Unless the roof bars are touching the ground.

83LB
November 7th, 2009, 09:22 pm
I don't know if you've already considered this Wil, but you can get a crown vic interceptor model with the 4.6 and 4r70w trans(1995-2004) for mid$2k range, drive it home, tear it apart, get some wrecker parts to convert the tail of the trans to AODE 4x4 style and get the D20 x-fer adapter and there's your V8 drivetrain with a 2.46 low range in the x-fer.

And if the 4.6 is still a little sluggish in keeping up with FJ401TON, there's ton of perf parts for them too.

The nice thing about driving your swap home is that all the wiring,ecu, etc is there ready to go, and you know it all works because you did a lot of brake stands in the car when you brought it home just to make sure.:redneck

I know a guy who has one of these, but not the interceptor version, and he regularly gets over 30mpg on the highway with it.

Hmmm, why didn't I do this?

Just an option anyways.

TonkaToyKiller
November 8th, 2009, 07:10 am
I've said it before on another site. If you like Fords then run it. BUT there is a reason that the new GenIII/GenIV are the most common swaps on the market today. That said the 4.6 is fat. As in very wide. Might cause a problem might not. But you'll spend more in the long run trying to build up the 4.6 to make the same power as a HO 5.3L or LS1 come with stock! Not to mention the performance up grades are cheap.

I'd run a 5.0L with GT heads before a 4.6L. But same boat as before. Still cost more $ to build up to get the same HP as a HO 5.3L or LS1.

Makes sense if you can get a runing donor for cheap. In the end being different is half the fun as well. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashin Ford at all here. Just looking at the big picture.

I had a 425 HP 4 cylinder that blew up. Then ran a est 300 +- HP 4 cylinder. Blew up 3 of those. I looked around a long time and concidered many options. I bought an aluminum 5.3L. Stock 325 HP. With CPU Mods and tuning 385HP. If that's not enough I'll add a cam and easy 450 HP. Should be more than enough.

I almost went with a 5.0L. They are very light for a cast iron block. Strong when built correctly. But they are old school tech. And would have cost me more $ in the end to build up. Plus I would have had to get a tranny adaptor for my 2 spd.

Just didn't make sense. It depends upon what kind of deal you find and how much $ you want to spend. If you are putting into your yota in your sig why not a
Toy V8? OR a Nissian. Just to be different???

Personaly I like the 4.0L V6 from TA Performance. One day I'll be running one of those. I hope!!!

fj401ton
November 8th, 2009, 07:31 am
I agree, with all the after market support for the gen III ls motors and all the go fast goodies available at a decent price, why go to something else.

I think wil is trying to do this in the least expensive way possible. sound like the 5.3 is a good starting point

83LB
November 8th, 2009, 08:33 am
the 4.6L is fat for sure, I was just throwing another option out there. I wanted to go with some sort of 8 lunger in my truck but I went with the V6 to save weight. I hope it will perform to my liking because it probably cost just as much or more than a V8 swap.

TonkaToyKiller
November 8th, 2009, 09:43 am
What kind of V6 4.3??

83LB
November 8th, 2009, 02:22 pm
It won't be like 400hp or anything, but it's double what the old 22R had.

pook
November 10th, 2009, 09:00 pm
schwanke engines sells a harness and computer setup for around $800usfor the 5.3's, LS1's etc.

They will sell you a kit complete with fuel system as well.

Found a vendor on Pirate selling 70,000 mile 5.3's complete for around $1000 shipped to Blaine WA.

I ended buying one from a buddies shop, ditching the 4.3v6 and will be putting in a warmed up 5.3 with LS1 intake/injection in the buggy.

johny5
November 11th, 2009, 09:11 pm
hows the length of the 5.3 compared to the 4.3 ?

pook
November 12th, 2009, 12:58 am
hows the length of the 5.3 compared to the 4.3 ?

Depends on if your running car or truck accessories. From rough measuring its about 2.5" longer with the truck accessories/waterpump.

EDIT: its actually 2.5" longer than the 4.3 when it has truck accessories. One issue I've run into is its actually wider at the front of the block.

rkjplt1
November 12th, 2009, 10:24 am
The car accessories are about 3/4" shorter.
If you go all aluminum Johnny, it is actually lighter than your 4.3 too.

Wil
November 12th, 2009, 12:07 pm
The car accessories are about 3/4" shorter.
If you go all aluminum Johnny, it is actually lighter than your 4.3 too.

wow, shorter...I would have not thought that would be a possibility.

rkjplt1
November 12th, 2009, 12:54 pm
wow, shorter...I would have not thought that would be a possibility.

I meant 3/4" shorter than the truck accessory LS engines. But the car crank is actually shorter than the 4.3 that comes in the trucks. They have a huge pulley and balancer on the truck 4.3's.

Wil
November 19th, 2009, 11:23 pm
I don't know if you've already considered this Wil, but you can get a crown vic interceptor model with the 4.6 and 4r70w trans(1995-2004) for mid$2k range, drive it home, tear it apart, get some wrecker parts to convert the tail of the trans to AODE 4x4 style and get the D20 x-fer adapter and there's your V8 drivetrain with a 2.46 low range in the x-fer.

I'm pretty committed to keeping it Chev, I've got a built Turbo 350 tranny. Not sure if my Toy-D300 tcase setup is going to hold up but trying to do this on the fairly tight budget like Tom said.

thedjjack
November 20th, 2009, 08:18 am
Website with Engine Weights:

http://fixrambler.com/engineweightchart.txt

Thread: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=148583

Cheers

jeeponrock
November 20th, 2009, 11:44 am
That 4.6 is realy wide too. Not the most swap friendly motor. Toy engine bays are pretty roomy but not that roomy I think.

DaveW
November 27th, 2009, 09:39 am
Just picked up a computer from a wrecker out of portland for the LS2 for $150. Surprised that it was so cheap. Also needed a coil cause one is broken from the accident the donor vehicle was in. $50 and it came all the way from florida.

Pooks the one that originally put me on to lkqcorp.com. I plugged them before, but you guys looking for part and blocks etc, its a good place to get cheap parts.

Shogunator
December 23rd, 2009, 11:28 pm
Wil,
I just picked up an 02 5.3 with an LS1 intake for 750 CDN local (langley) it has just over a 100K on it. I also snagged a LS6 cam and springs from the guy for $200. It was really complete and even had JBA headers and stock manifolds (Dave you need to bring the one I lent you back!) So even if I decide to buy my own software I'm in and done for 1500 or less if Curty will tune it for me. The only thing I will do beyond this which will add to the cost is a baffled pan and an accumulator set-up. I'm ok on the extra cost with the insurance the accumulator and baffle will add.
The guy I bought the motor from also had a LS1 with absolutely everything you could think of relating to the engine and car. Ended up that the motor needed some work 'cause it had sat too long but he was selling it pretty cheap with a vette 4l60e. Just keep looking and you'll find something. I'd be looking to get a LQ9 if I could find it. This deal fell in my lap so this is it for now. :baby

Wil
December 24th, 2009, 09:54 am
Wil,
I just picked up an 02 5.3 with an LS1 intake for 750 CDN local (langley) it has just over a 100K on it. I also snagged a LS6 cam and springs from the guy for $200. It was really complete and even had JBA headers and stock manifolds (Dave you need to bring the one I lent you back!) So even if I decide to buy my own software I'm in and done for 1500 or less if Curty will tune it for me. The only thing I will do beyond this which will add to the cost is a baffled pan and an accumulator set-up. I'm ok on the extra cost with the insurance the accumulator and baffle will add.
The guy I bought the motor from also had a LS1 with absolutely everything you could think of relating to the engine and car. Ended up that the motor needed some work 'cause it had sat too long but he was selling it pretty cheap with a vette 4l60e. Just keep looking and you'll find something. I'd be looking to get a LQ9 if I could find it. This deal fell in my lap so this is it for now. :baby

Very nice! I'm on the lookout.

DaveW
December 24th, 2009, 11:28 am
I can't give it back its bolted to my truck. Kidding it wont work, I should have brought it back during our crew meeting.

pook
December 26th, 2009, 12:50 am
Dave, what part won't fit? The Sanderson blockhuggers fit real tight if you need to squeeze it in more.

jeeponrock
December 26th, 2009, 07:01 am
Dave, what part won't fit? The Sanderson blockhuggers fit real tight if you need to squeeze it in more.

A second vote for those headers. Good quality ones too.

rkjplt1
December 28th, 2009, 09:12 pm
Just picked up a LQ9. '02 6.0 for 700$ I'm swapping in a comp cam and using the LS1 electronics.

DaveW
December 29th, 2009, 01:53 am
Which cam did you end up going with?

Wil
December 29th, 2009, 01:22 pm
Just picked up a LQ9. '02 6.0 for 700$ I'm swapping in a comp cam and using the LS1 electronics.

damn 600 bucks! I'm jealous. Where did you get this one from ? Out of the USA?

Shogunator
December 29th, 2009, 09:34 pm

My headers are truck style so the dump at the rear of the motor, that and Dave has rectangular ports on the LS2 heads vs. round on the 5.3 heads. I believe Dave wants something like the sanderson's blockhuggers 'cause they dump in the middle and are tight. I'm going to design my chasis around the ones I have. The JBA's are nice in the way they are constructed, especially in how they do the transition from the primaries to the collector. I'd need to take a pic 'cause I can't explain it.

rkjplt1
December 29th, 2009, 11:01 pm
Which cam did you end up going with?

The Comp 265 hi lift. It should work well with the parts I already have. Anything more and I'd need a LS6 intake and good headers.

damn 600 bucks! I'm jealous. Where did you get this one from ? Out of the USA?

I noticed on the floor of my local tranny shop, it's just taking up space there. So he'll just get rid of it.

LKQ has them for 700-900 though. You can request a harness and the ecm is onl 150 through them. You'd have to bring it across the border.

DaveW
December 30th, 2009, 12:03 am
Or bring it back in one of the trailers returning from KOH. LKQ has a store in portland where I pick up my stuff.

pook
December 30th, 2009, 02:50 am
The Comp 265 hi lift. It should work well with the parts I already have. Anything more and I'd need a LS6 intake and good headers.

LS6 intake and bigger throttle body are my next upgrade.

rkjplt1
December 30th, 2009, 07:26 pm
LS6 intake and bigger throttle body are my next upgrade.

Bigger throttle bodies are overrated. The stock 80mm is good for alot more than we'll ever need.

Dave bought an interesting book, that I stole, on a bunch or different packages all run on the same dyno. The LS6 intake with 80mm makes more power than a LS2 intake with 90mm.

pook
December 30th, 2009, 07:41 pm
Bigger throttle bodies are overrated. The stock 80mm is good for alot more than we'll ever need.

Dave bought an interesting book, that I stole, on a bunch or different packages all run on the same dyno. The LS6 intake with 80mm makes more power than a LS2 intake with 90mm.

I assumed the LS6 throttle body was bigger than the LS1 one I have...I'll be just using an OEM throttle cable, throttle body on it.

Still learning about this new fancy motor crap.

rkjplt1
December 30th, 2009, 07:52 pm
I assumed the LS6 throttle body was bigger than the LS1 one I have...I'll be just using an OEM throttle cable, throttle body on it.

Still learning about this new fancy motor crap.

Biggest learning curve will be driving something with that much power. It will be hard to get the huge grin off your face for a while. :D

fj401ton
December 31st, 2009, 06:46 am
Biggest learning curve will be driving something with that much power. It will be hard to get the huge grin off your face for a while. :D

I don't have huge power, but some none the less and still have a big grin on my face. mmmmm hp rocks,

83LB
December 31st, 2009, 07:04 pm
ah yes, the ever coveted "horsepower grin." Often looks quite similar to this......:redneck

fj401ton
December 31st, 2009, 07:24 pm
[QUOTE=83LB;968686]ah yes, the ever coveted "horsepower grin." Often looks quite similar to this......:redneck[/QUOTE

yes, yes it does

jeep09
January 15th, 2010, 09:28 pm

I noticed on the floor of my local tranny shop, it's just taking up space there. So he'll just get rid of it.

LKQ has them for 700-900 though. You can request a harness and the ecm is onl 150 through them. You'd have to bring it across the border.
Is the cam you are using - Comp Cams #249-54-412-11? , if so, how do you like it, just picked up my LS6 heads and this cam today,

rkjplt1
January 18th, 2010, 01:42 pm
Sounds about right, I'll have to recheck. I never ended up getting it in time to swap it before the engine went back in. I won't need over 400 hp to destroy the buggy down there.

sethc24
January 20th, 2010, 08:35 pm
what about a cummins 3.9L 4bt?
DIESEL POWER!

got Jeep?
January 29th, 2010, 11:27 pm
the topic doesnt say what the engine is for

fj401ton
January 30th, 2010, 07:55 am
motors in general for toyota mini trucks and dedicated go fast tube buggies ect. I believe this thread was started because Wil is looking for an up grade in his 2nd gen toy rig. he has a vortec 4.3 now and wants to step it up to around the 400 HP for better snow wheelin performance. Snow wheeling does require HP, and it's just plain fun to have it. Kelowna Boys are in their snow machines have a minimum 550HP big blocks, and 44 inch to 54 inch tires for serious fun.

got Jeep?
January 30th, 2010, 11:50 am
ya all i have is an HJ60 diesel running gear

rkjplt1
January 30th, 2010, 01:39 pm
what about a cummins 3.9L 4bt?
DIESEL POWER!

Diesels are awesome for tow rigs, crap sauce for wheeling. At least the kind that I do. :)

83LB
February 5th, 2010, 12:51 am
the topic doesnt say what the engine is for

it's for this vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv ......................................so he can do that vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Hasher
February 18th, 2010, 05:29 pm
i have a 2004 LS6 comes 405hp stock, its compleat with 22,00km $3500

fj401ton
February 18th, 2010, 07:34 pm
complete with factory wiring harness and ecm and all sensors and gas pedal ?

Hasher
February 18th, 2010, 11:39 pm
yup, and manifolds.

DaveW
February 19th, 2010, 10:07 am
Paging Curtis!!! You need another spare!

Chet
February 25th, 2010, 09:13 am
here's a prety cheap 5.3 in nanaimo http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/11355033

rkjplt1
February 25th, 2010, 09:29 am
Paging Curtis!!! You need another spare!

I do need an LS6, but that's a little too much for me.