BC 4x4 Forums banner

French Mine...easy to find, anything to see?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  trikebubble 
#1 ·
I've been intrigued with old mines and such for decades. While I signed up here because we just bought a Jeep....I am pretty happy to see this section here.

So, is the French mine area easy to access, and how would one get there? And if so, is their still anything of interest to look at?

I'm certainly not going to go inside any mines/caves, as I have no experiance doing this (though the "tourist" visits to the inside of the Hedley and Rossland mine areas have been very cool) but wondered if a day trip up there to take a poke around was worth it?

On a side note, where is their any history written about the old mining operations across the river from the Kettle River Prov. Park in Rock Creek?

And a last question (I know, I'll shut up soon) is their anyone in the area that organizes trips up to look at some of these old local minesites? A few years back, we went on a guided tour of many of the old minesites around Fairview with a couple guys who live in the area.

Thanks a bunch,
Carlo

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, there are things to see at the French Mines: some chutes and an ore tower (not sure of the proper name for it). And about a half dozen mine entrances. No buildings.

If you're not going into the mines, then I don't know if it's worth a day trip, although the drive up to the mines from Hwy 3 is interesting due to the altitude gain and view.

To get there, you basically take the road that goes up to Nickel Plate Mtn (about 2-3 km east of Hedley) and then after going around all the switchbacks and crossing the bluffs, take the right-hand turn at the apex of the first or second switchbacks. Either of those turns will lead to the mines. One goes to the upper part, the other to the lower.

(BTW, does anyone have a problem with me posting the directions? I wasn't sure if I should or not. I figured it was ok since they're listed in the BC Backroads Mapbook.)

...lars

#3 ·
Thanks.
I noticed the site in my Backroads mapbook some time ago, and only now realized it is the loaction you are talking about. I took a peek on the Minfile databse and plugged the co-ordinates into Google Earth to get a better look.

Maybe we'll take a run up there for something to do here soon. If nothing else it will be a good reason to get the wife's Jeep dirty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.