LS motors and more [Archive] - BB.BC4x4.COM

: LS motors and more

DaveW
September 16th, 2009, 03:34 pm
Lots of LS motor questions recently from people pm curty and I and trying to hijack my other thread, LOL.

John, what do you mean by fuel system. I was going to run the MSD PN2225. Curty is running it in his LS1 and it is fine and I've run one on my other buggy's 4.0L for like 4 years. Was thinking of running an LS1 single fuel line filter/regulator kit. Guys are getting way with them on 500 hp LS7's. This set up allows one line to the tank as the filter returns excess fuel to the tank. Running the stock injectors, fuel rail.

Question answered?

DaveW
September 16th, 2009, 03:36 pm
www.lkqcorp.com has a ton of LS series gen III and gen IV motors for decent prices. Plus if you look around you can find good deals. Billa Vista tech on pirate4x4 also outlines good info on the LS series.

Wil
September 16th, 2009, 04:07 pm
Due to the company I keep I need about 400HP:redneck:cwm30: I never really read anything negative about the aluminum block motors but I have heard people talk about lack of durability in comparison to the steel block V8's. Is there any truth to reliability/longevity issues with the LS1-2 motors?

jeeponrock
September 16th, 2009, 05:16 pm
John, what do you mean by fuel system. I was going to run the MSD PN2225. Curty is running it in his LS1 and it is fine and I've run one on my other buggy's 4.0L for like 4 years. Was thinking of running an LS1 single fuel line filter/regulator kit. Guys are getting way with them on 500 hp LS7's. This set up allows one line to the tank as the filter returns excess fuel to the tank. Running the stock injectors, fuel rail.

Question answered?

I'm talking tank, pump. filter, etc. So yes you answered the question I think.

There is lots of info about this stuff floating around. If you listen the guys on pirate you need dual pumps and a couple grand worth of bling lines and fittings to make your system reliable.

Here's one example.....
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814080

I'm leaning towards running a stock GM style system (factory intake pump and stock style lines) just for simplicity. Downside is it's not as off camber friendly. Ah well.

Due to the company I keep I need about 400HP:redneck:cwm30: I never really read anything negative about the aluminum block motors but I have heard people talk about lack of durability in comparison to the steel block V8's. Is there any truth to reliability/longevity issues with the LS1-2 motors?

I don't think so but I've got no personal experience with them. I think it comes down to the quality of the install and maintenance. The guys running those motors are running them hard. If you put a proper cooling system in, run an oil accumulator, and don't starve it for fuel you should be fine.

rkjplt1
September 16th, 2009, 05:59 pm
I run the MSD inline with a corvette pressure regulator built in. The LS motors have a single fuel line, with no return.

The guy's talking about the blingy stuff, are running it because of fuel boiling in the lines and such. I haven't had this issue yet, but I also haven't ran it wide open for 8 hours in 100+ heat.

Wil, LS1 blocks are definitly weaker than the later aluminum and cast iron blocks. I haven't cracked mine yet. I run a brace that ties into the oil pan though.
The early engines also had oil starvation issues that were fixed by '99.
Even still, consider a oil accumulator and trap door pan a must for any of these engines.
I run one of these, http://www.improvedracing.com/ Twisted customs also has a complete pan replacement if you need a new one too.

Poopy
September 16th, 2009, 09:28 pm
Do you think one of these LS thingies would help my jeep get over V-Rock at sunrise?

DaveW
September 17th, 2009, 07:32 am
Do you think one of these LS thingies would help my jeep get over V-Rock at sunrise?

LOL, I've seen you driving that new toyota. Just do like you do when you come up to a jump and blip that little toy motor and you'll jump the entire rock.

DaveW
September 17th, 2009, 07:41 am
Reliability issues with aluminum blocks isn't as big an issue to me as some people make it out to be. The later blocks started to be beefed up in areas. Yes the steel blocks are stronger if you want to make big power or can be bored more if you want to rebuild.

Shogunator
September 17th, 2009, 02:49 pm
Good tech.

I should get me one of them things....

Oh wait. I already did! :withstupid:

I plan on running mine on the stockish fuel system. I have a cell with an in tank pump already. I may down the road add multiple pick-ups.

My motor will be at my place by this weekend! I can't wait! :baby

DaveW
September 21st, 2009, 07:38 am
In place and running? Either way, damn you work fast.

DaveW
September 23rd, 2009, 12:09 pm
FYI

LM7 5.3L w/ Alum heads - SAE HP = 290 or old school 354 HP (was $300 at lkqcorp w/o computer)
LQ9 6.0L w/ Alum heads - SAE HP = 345 or old school 414.5 HP (was $900 at lkqcorp w/o computer)

Can you tell I'm reading a book on the gen III motors right now? LOL

TonkaToyKiller
October 2nd, 2009, 08:43 pm
FYI

LM7 5.3L w/ Alum heads - SAE HP = 290 or old school 354 HP (was $300 at lkqcorp w/o computer)
LQ9 6.0L w/ Alum heads - SAE HP = 345 or old school 414.5 HP (was $900 at lkqcorp w/o computer)

Can you tell I'm reading a book on the gen III motors right now? LOL

The L33 which is the HO 5.3L is 335 HP

I'm using a seperate reg with a return line and inline fuel pump. Not sure on the model #'s. I thought about using the stock pump set up, but for packaging purposes I couldn't. My tank is to small!

DaveW
October 13th, 2009, 07:26 pm
Anyone by chance have a 'car' fuel rail they don't need. I picked up a new LS2 intake for my motor. It doesn't come with the fuel rail, and after looking at my 'truck' fuel rail I realize that the cross over sticks way the hell up to fit over the 'truck' intake.

FYI, truck intakes are taller than the car intake. The trucks ran an engine driven cooling fan which would hit the throttle body on the car intake.